The Circus is in Town...

@14missy (3185)
Australia
When, if ever was the last time you went to the circus? A circus is visiting our town at the moment and it is so expensive to go with all the children. We used to walk around the animal cages when we were children as we couldn't afford to actually go in to the bigtop. As children we loved it though. What are your thoughts on, or memories of circuses?
@BELMCstar (1343)
We went to Silver's Circus, but there were no animals there. It was quite an expensive exercise, but we found it was worth it. Just don't go the 'ringside' seats, as they are not worth the extra money.
@14missy (3185)
It is silver's circus here at the moment, but we won't be going as it is way too expensive when you have three children. Maybe next time.
@babystar1 (4236)
I took all four of my kids to the circus when they were all young and it was very expensive.Last year when the circus came I took 3 of my grandkids and they all loved it.
@14missy (3185)
I'm sure the kids love it no matter what it costs haha. They don't know that thee were more animals etc when I was a child so don't miss them. It just doesn't seem the same these days though.
@rainbow (6763)
When I was little the cirscus came every summer and we usually went, there were elephants and ponies but no lions etc. we took our boys last year and the only animals were men in costumes. It always smelled funny and was a bit scary - the clown terrrified me - still make me feel sick now, lol.
@14missy (3185)
That's true it was always a strange smell (probably animal dung haha)
@Bee1955 (3886)
Ringling Bros is due to come to our city in April. I havent been to a circus in 10 years and we are making plans to go. We dont have any children, we just want to see it. They dont let you walk around the cages anymore, though for insurance reasons.
@14missy (3185)
Wow, Ringling Brothers have been around for ever. I hope you enjoy it.
@14missy (3185)
I have not been to a circus in way too long. Years and years. I loved it as a child in a big tent and bleachers with hay on the ground. But, that changed. I went to the NYC Barnum and Baily circus in Madison Gardens around 25 years ago. That was the last time.
@14missy (3185)
We used to watch Barnum and Bailey circus on the Tv when we were little. I loved the old fashioned circusses.
I know what you mean about the cost of going to the circus. It is just too expensive to go, last time we went was a discounted group with her class few years ago
@14missy (3185)
It doesn't seem to have the same mystry as it used to either. Very commercialised now.
@caramello (4381)
The circus......ferry floss yum! I have been to a few circuses in my time and have really enjoyed them and when I took the children when they were younger they were so excited to see the animals do "tricks" and the clowns and their funny acts. But now I would not be able to go for some strange and unexplainable reason that I cannot stand seeing the animals in these environments and I do realise they are completely cared for but this seems to be the way I am now! Weird really!
@14missy (3185)
I think this is why their aren't the large amounts of animals in the circus anymore. People were complaining about how they were treated. I sort of agree but think that these animals were pretty well loved by their owners on the whole. Thanks for your comments.