Posting News Articles....

I don't mind it when people post news articles but It hink they should offer their opinions or something that actually leads to discussion. I see many posting the article and leaving it at that. they don't add their own opinon or questions so the might as well have just copied and pasted the whol thing as their new discussion. How do you feel about this? Do you think it is enough to just post the article withuot putting more effort in to create a discussion? Do you think this is a form of cheating? I don't think it is nearly as bad as somethings I have seen where someone is obviously just running points, but is it a form of cheating?
It a way it is. Today I saw I discussion with a link to an article and the poster said I am not going to say what I think as it might influence you! What does that mean how can you discuss it?
I'm torn on that one. I see people posting news that I certainly could have posted... news that I saw on yahoo... Seeing how many responses some news items get, I'm going, "Sheeeeeesh! I need to start posting news!" I can't copy and paste yet so putting news up would be too inconvenient unless I am just posting a link. But yeah, personally, I would feel like I was not doing something right if I didn't put a personal comment on it.
@creationhub (3070)
News articles are a good source of quality discussions. However, I agree with you that the members posting should also have a short write up on their reasons for bringing up the topics. In this way, we will know that they are genuinely desiring to discuss the subjects and not just creating extra posts.
@LindaLou (483)
I agree, I also dislike seeing a clearly copied and pasted news article with no further opinion or comment on it, assuming that others will comment. I never respond to those posts. I agree that it's cheating if you can't come up with your own topic or atleast offer an opinion on what you're posting.
Honestly it's starting to drive me crazy. There's at least three people inside my friend list which posted very good discussions and all of a sudden their posting news articles which everyone else is posting and it's not just one but around 10 daily. I've got nothing against them but I can't reply to these days I've also noticed they don't get a great responses so it's my guess others feel the same way. Sharing one or two is cool. I miss the meaningful discussion pretty much like this. That's all I'm going to say on this matter. Kudos! ~Joey
I noticed a bunch of posts like that the other day by the same person. They were literally copied and pasted from other sites. I reported them as cheating. I think it is a form of cheating. Those people will not come back and check their discussion. They are just out to up their count.
@happymommy3 (2013)
I agree with you. I think if you're gonna copy a news article you should add something of your opinion or what you think of it. I think if you don't do that it is a form of cheating.
@kfg20012003 (1037)
I don't disagree in general, but the offense for which the ban was attributed occurs here daily. Was he right to jump MC in the manner he did? No. Actually, I think you will find most if not all newspapers or online news websites will have no problem at all with cut/paste of their content as long as you note where you got it from. It is kind of like getting free publicity. If readers of the cut/paste like the content they are likely to visit the site on there own. I would be more concerned about periodicals or sites such as CBH.com who may be much more likely to claim "ownership" of their content.
@linda345 (2661)
I have started discussions from articles I have read in magizines, so I hope I am not one of those guilty ones. On the other hand I have seen people post the news articles and not even ask a question to get the discussion get going. I have tried and avoided discussions like this.