Was Your Dad A SuperHero?

@rainbow (6763)
When you were little did you think your Dad could do ANYTHING - better than the Superheros on TV even? How did you feel when you realised he wasn't? What happened? I was about 13 and my dad had a really serious operation, it scared me as I kind of thought he was immortal, how about you?
@gabs8513 (48715)
Nope I never liked my Stepdad or trusted him. So I never had that experience as such. To me it was my Grandmother that was always the hero. And she always will be to the Day I die. She was one amazing Woman.
@rainbow (6763)
I knew you'd say your grandmother honey, you too were so close when you were little.
@gabs8513 (48715)
Yes we where very close and she will always be my Hero.
No. Sad to say but I didn't really have a dad. I didn't meet him until I was 14 years old. He never came around or paid child support or anything. So, I must say that he definitely wasn't a superhero of any kind.
@rainbow (6763)
I'm so sorry you missed out on having a loving dad when you were little, what a shame.
@sylviekitty (2083)
I'm not sure if I ever thought of my dad as a "super hero". Not that he wasn't great at kissing my boo-boos, or making me laugh.. But I do know that he was very important to me, and the thought of losing him was scary. I remember as a little kid, having a nightmare about him. In this nightmare, he was at his mom's house, trying to cut down a tree in her front yard. It was a thorn tree, and it fell on top of him. I woke up crying for him. At some point, after my parents divorced, and I moved in with my dad, it was very important for me to say goodbye to him each morning before he left for work. Even if I was mad at him, the thought of not saying goodbye, (and something potentially happening to him to keep him from coming home) was upsetting to me. I carry the habit on to this day, with my husband.
@rainbow (6763)
What a horrible dream, it's a scary thought something bad happening to them. I always make sure Shrek says bye to the boys if they are awake and fusses them at bedtime, just in case he misses them in a morning. Even if we are ratty in a morning I make sure we say bye nicely before he goes to work, funny things really aren't we?
@villageanne (8554)
I taught my daughters to look up to and respect their father. They dearly loved him and to this day they still think that he can do anything. Both our daughters are married now but they still call him for advice. I was talking to my grandaughter who is 3 years old. I told her that my husbnd (her grandfather) was my superman. He was just perfect. She went to church and told the kids that her Grandfather was "superman". LOL my daughter called me and told me about it. I remembered telling her that and I guess she took it literally. LOL I remember that I thought that my dad was the best man on earth. One day he jumped on me for something that I had not done. He did not believe me when I told him that I had not done such a terrible thing. Another adult had told him that I had and it was at that point that I lost faith in him. I realized taht he was not perfect and that he would not belive in me like I thought he did. I never felt quite the same about him again.
@rainbow (6763)
How wonderful, for your daughters and grandaughter; part of me still feels like that about my dad but as he is so hard to have a conversation with nowadays I sometimes feel orphaned, lol. It's strange the day we realise that they are not infallible and maybe a normal person lurks on the top of the ivory tower. I hope my boys are a long way from this realisation about Shrek.