Do you think your children are spoiled??

heres the thing everyone tells me that my children are spoiled (not psoiled brats but spoiled) yes my 6yr old has been many many place, he has a video game system, tv, dvd and vcr, heelies and so on and my 2yr old has a wardrobe ive only dreamed of, her own princess tv and dvd half a dozen bikes etc but i dont think their spoiled im just trying ot give them what i never had growing up, being the oldest of 5 with a single parent and very little income going out to eat never came, vacations were no existance and luxury personal items didnt happen till i was 16 and got a job and no im not trying to buy their love they are my life and love is the first thing i show them but i love to shop and when i can i splurge on them, is this wrong,should my son not get to go to a movie with me and his father monthly , should we not buy new releases when they first come out?should i be cooking dinner nightly and forget our weekend restaraunt trips? i dont see them as spoiled just content how about you do you think you over do it with your kids?
@cherhost (1073)
Well yea I think my kid is very spoiled. She is an only child. She is 19months. Needless to say they have a ton of cool toys and very cute clothes for her. My family does it too so it is not just me. My mother just sent us a Backyardigans table. I have a ton of DVDs for her... a ball pit, rocking horse, piano, talking everything, all the elmos that are out there, a Dora kitchen and well I think I just rambled off enough for you to get hte point. But yes she is spoiled and I plan to keep it that way. But I will keep her grounded too. She needs to know who she really is when she grows up.
@pudgles (414)
it depends, do they expect it all the time? when my children were growing up, i had to go to food pantries, etc.i would be sure that my kids always had, even if it meant me going without, including eating. then i got a good job and came into a bit of money. of course i spent it mostly on the kids. i felt bad when kids had things that mine didnt. i saw the hurt and disappointment in their eyes, and it hurt me more than i could ever say. so, as i got more situated, i would buy them things that they wanted as well as long needed. every christmas i would make up with alot of gifts, and inlaws would say i was buying my kids love as well as spoiling them. to me, it was my way of showing them how sorry i was that i couldn't do it while they were younger. my oldest had to grow up quick after her dad was killed, and even today, i regret that had to happen for if i wanted anything, it was for all my children to have a happy childhood, regardless of the situation. so no, you are not spoiling them, but cut back a bit for when they get older, then they might be spoiled and if you think you have a terrible two, wait until you have a terrible teen....:)
YES!Well not me personally i know my sister spoils her kids. I understand her reasons for doing so, but AT TIMES i feel as if she spoils them too much. there are certain things that they didnt need or only wanted for a short period of time. i love them like my own , but i think that they are spoiled!! My daughter yes i spoil her too but not as bad. She gets what she gets when she deserves them this way here she knows that she got whatever it is for spefic reasons, so that when she grows up she will be grateful for what she does have, and so that she knows that you have to give in order to recieve.
@crystal8577 (1470)
My kids may be spoiled, but it is not by us. On my husband's side they are the only grandchildren & nieces. That means my in-laws & SIL buy them lots of things. Part of the stuff we make them keep at their houses. My SIL takes the older 2 to the pumpkin patch every year. She took them to see the rockets around Christmas time this year. They spend a few weekends a year with them. They spend a lot of time at my in-laws. My Father in law is in his 80's. I think if my in-laws evejoy getting things for them then that is their business.
um, your kids do sound spoiled to me, however I don't see a problem with it, I also spoil my son- and I can totally see your reasoning as far as wanting to give them what you didn't have. The only thing that I would reccommend is teaching them the value of money and how you have to earn it when they are old enough- like give them a weekly allowance for chores-your 6 year old should be able to start helping you around the house if he doesn't already. Remember that your weekend restaurant trips also give you a break from cooking and so if you can afford it, I say go for it, us mom's deserve a break! I wouldn't worry about other people saying your kids are spoiled and just remember that it isn't necessarily a bad thing- my 15 month old had over 20 presents (no joke) last Christmas.