Does it really take that much effort to return your shopping cart?

At any given time there are atleast 15-20 shopping carts speckling the parking lot at my local walmart. I'm tired of having to get out my car and move a cart just so that I can park. Or worse having some one else park their cart right next to my car and most likely hit my car. There cart returns all over the place but very few people seem to make use of them. Do you retrun your cart or just drop it off wherever?
@ZenDove (698)
I have to admit that I am one of the guilty - especially in cold or rainy weather. I try not to leave a cart where it could damage another car, angle it so that it won't roll. But after spending what usually turns out to be a couple of hours and at least a hundred bucks, by the time I leave, I really don't want to do anything extra for WalMart. So maybe your complaint would be better voiced to the management. Don't they hire people to corral those carts? Or maybe they can implement a system like Aldi's food stores, where you have to insert a quarter to get a cart and the only way you get your quarter back is to return the cart. Check out an Aldi's parking lot sometimes, you won't see many carts rolling around. I understand your irritation but I won't make any empty promises. Maybe just having your discussion in the back of my mind will reform me.
@ZenDove (698)
Thank you so much for the BR! You were my first and it was great for me! lol Seriously, thanks a lot.
@mememama (3077)
I've been guilty of this when it's pouring down rain and there's no cart corral nearby, I'll hop it up on a curb or something so it doesn't roll. Not everywhere has cart return places, I've been in quite a few parking lots lol, but I think that may vary by region. That's why I like the grocery stores that have a person take the cart out to the car, it's worth a few bucks when you've got a toddler!
@cherhost (1073)
I always return it. I have a routine... I unload all the stuff into the car with the kid... she hands me stuff. Then I return the cart and carry her to the car. I hate when carts hit my car. so i just put it up.
@Denmarkguy (1845)
I always return the cart to the chute in the parking lot. I make that easy for myself by trying to find a parking spot next to one of the return cart chutes. I agree that's it's really annoying when you think you've found a parking space, and there are actually a couple of stray carts in that space.
I went to Walmart the other day and I was so angry...This other couple was putting there bags away in the back of the van and I parked 2 parking spaces away from them.. I got out of my car and they just left the cart there and it was rolling to my car.. Thank God I caught it in time or it would have hit my new car.. They never said sorry or anything... I always put my cart away even in the rain.. I can't stand it when other people dont do it.. But I am not everyone and I cant force them to do it..
I don't know about your area, but in Toronto, it's rare to find a place that doesn't have those 25 cent deposits in their carts. Also, it's not that often that kids make a 25 cent profit off these carts left lying around, so it works.
@paidreader (5151)
LOL, yes some people are rather lazy. I don't like the dings so I wind up moving them out of my way too. I think that, because it's such an annoyance, I go out of my way to return my cart to the collection area or in some cases, back to the front of the store. When I go to walmart to redeem the cards I've been winning, I sure hate seeing someone elses basket up against my truck (first thought- cost of touch up paint?). Sometimes I think that If I wasn't doing my groceries there too, I would just redeem them online. :(
@jfeets726 (775)
I always take my cart back when I am doing. Also, when I am walking into a store and I see a cart sort of near my car in the parking lot, I usually take it in with me and use it, unless it is wet from rain or snow. Before becoming a work at home mom, I was a manager of a local discount store. We didn't have that many carts because the store was kind of small. We would reguarlly have to run out and get them because we would turn around and there would only be like two or three carts left. It was a pain to have to go out and get like ten or twenty carts, so I know how those people who have to go and get them feel. That is why I always take my carts back.
@soulist (2987)
I always take my cart to the cart return, and sometimes if we are parked close enough I take it back to the store. If I don't have to be home in hurry I'll grab a couple near by carts and put them in the cart return too.
@crazynurse (7489)
Oh this makes my blood boil. It makes me mad that some think the rules are not for them and that 'somebody else will take care of it.' I hate driving forever to find a parking spot, finally spy what appears to be a spot, start salivating, pull up and get ready to pull in..only to see a darned cart sitting there all forelorn. I lose my religion everytime. As you say, even worse is when I park and come out to find someones darned cart up against my car with a chip of paint missing. GRRRRRRrrrrrr.
@villageanne (8554)
I think that is a problem every where except ALDI's. They have the best system and I have never seen a cart out of place. The carts strung up and chained together at the top. YOu have to put a quarter into the slot to get your cart out. When you return your cart, you have to put the chain back into the slot and your quarter comes out. They just have this wonderful system to eveything that they do. They dont bag your grocerys and if you want a bag you have to buy them. As a result, everyone picks up empty boxes when food is gone so they can box their grocerys in them. I have never seen an empty box. As if the case is getting empty someone will take the rest of the food out and put on top of the next case and take the box.