Do you let your toddler watch tv?

@GuateMom (1411)
I feel like such a bad mom, but the only time I get a moment to do stuff is when my 14 month old is watching Baby Tv. He only watches about an hour a day, but I had intended not to let him watch any, so I´m a bit disappointed in myself! Do your kids watch tv? How much is a reasonable amount?
@astromama (1226)
I'm planning on not letting my son watch regular tv, but I think occasional 'family movies' are okay. I think by limiting it you are doing the right thing. And, honestly, although studies show that television should be limited or not watched at all by young children, I know my mom let me watch Sesame Street and stuff when I was that age. I have a brother who is two years older than me, so he was three when I was your son's age, and I did everything with him... including watching cartoons. I don't think it had much of a long-term impact on me. As long as it's balanced out with plenty of imaginitive play and learning play, I think an hour a day is fine. Especially because you are only human and need a break now and then. I think as a mother, you do what you can but know your limits. My mom said my grandmother used to lock her bedroom door for a few hours occasionally. She had five kids and enjoyed her alone time. Of course this is when her kids were older, but I find it kind of funny.
@GuateMom (1411)
With five kids, I can understand your grandmother locking herself in! I want to do that sometimes with just one. :)
@Kaeli72 (1230)
Ah, don't feel bad. Everything is bad for you if you do it too much. Take for example this bowl of gumdrops I have near me. If I continue to eat them, I'll get sick. My hubby didn't let us watch TV or movies for almost a year. Then, we rented ONE movie and that was it...we've been at it ever since. The first time I let my 13 month old watch "Curious George", my hubby scolded us, but backed off when he saw how happy it made the baby. I also let my three kids sit down on the couch together and watch a movie. It's a great bonding experience for them and it will help create memories.
@GuateMom (1411)
My parents didn´t let us watch tv until I was about 18 years old! We occasionally rented a tv and vcr and a big stack of movies and would watch all afternoon and most of the night! It made those movie days a very special occasion. But then my dad bought the tv and vcr and we could watch one or two movies a week, and then he got cable for the Olympics and we never went back! I think it was good for us, although I tend to watch too much tv now (at night after the baby is in bed), so I figure limits for me and my son is a good idea!
i let my son watch his shows every morning! i was kind of worried about all the tv watching for a while as well, but being a single mommy and needing breaks for myself so i can actually take good care of him was necessary... now i have also found that he learns ALOT from his shows! so all in all i think its not such a bad thing as long as its age apropriate shows.
• Netherlands
well, in my case...we let our daughter watching TV since couple of months old. She is now 4 years old and she still enjoy watching/ learning TV. Mostly children cartoon and educational TV programs and sometimes we watch together. We will try wisely explain to her things that she didn't understand. Up till now we haven't regret it. Her vocabulary is growing tremendous and she learn and knows more things than children at her age - in positive way of course. And we even introduce her to computer and its educational games since she was 12 months. We realized that she become non hyperactive, more relax instead of running around the whole day. So, for me she can watch TV as long as it meant to be for childen and has its educational side. And I can do my daily household easily, too.
ya agree with u.... here also the same..:)
Don't feel bad. I think one hour a day for a 14 month old is not bad. You need the time to do stuff around the house as well. I'm sure your child will be ok.