Caffeine in Skin Care Products

I started hearing about caffiene being added to bath gels to give a little lift to a person's nervous system without their having to actually drink coffee. Then today I came across this site that has caffeine in one of their skincare products and they say that it encourages blood flow tot he skin and removes celullite. Has anyone here ever tried a skin care item or shower gel that had caffeine as a main ingredeint? Does it really have an effect or is this just more product hype?
@astromama (1226)
Well, I imagine if you put anything on the skin, it has a similar effect to what you would experience digesting it. Like bath products made with avocado oil or vitamin E are touted as good for the skin... same if you eat a diet rich in avocado or foods high in vitamin E. personally, I believe that caffeine can perk up your skin by stimulating blood flow. I use a homemade scrub with sugar and gound coffee beans as an exfoliant. As far as reducing cellulite, I don't really know... I still have mine!!! Bottom line, the skin is the largest organ, so rubbing anything directly on it will have some effect.
@villageanne (8554)
I have not used it myself. I have heard that it is available in skin care products for your face but I am not sure my skin needs caffeine. I did not know that it was available in shower gel though. It will be interesting to see if anyone is using them and what affect they really have on the skin.
Well I can honestly say I doubt know, I probably have but I can't be sure. Caffeine can b quite useful. I guess the answer to you're questions both, as products are often in a "hype" and mention new things. I remember reading an article in the doctors regarding this. The effects are there, although personally I'm wary about what ingredients I'm putting in or on my body etc. Kudos, ~Joey
P.S. The blood flow thing just about sounds plausible. On the cellulite claim, that sounds like a bit of hype. Then again, I could be wrong. Who knows?
I have not tried this, but my objection to caffeine is that the stimulating effect is caused by overstimulating the adrenal glands to produce more adrenaline than they would normally. Over time this over-stimulation can lead to adrenal exhaustion, which has happened to me, but from other causes. I would imagine that this concept could work, because I had an experience that convinced me that what you put on your skin goes into your body and affects it... it was an experience of having a bath with 1/3 pint of strong 30% hydrogren peroxide to take out a dangerous anaphyaltic reaction to a bee sting. In five minutes, the dangerous shock reaction went away. So to think about caffeine in gels, I think it might really do that. But as to its actual long term effect.....
I've never heard of it. Wonder if it really works?
@linda345 (2661)
Something is tickling the back of my mind about this. I just went and read all the skin care items that I have here and none have caffeine in it. I am wondering if it is the time I had microderabrasion done. Maybe they used caffeine during that process. If I get a chance tomorrow I am going to phone.