fever

@MINDY0882 (2304)
my son had a 103.9 fever last nite he is 1 1/2 so i took him to the er. I called his doc office number, they have 3 doc well it said they was unavailalbe this weekend,which is so stupid being there are 3 in that office. well the er said it was just from a respitory infection and that fever even up to 105 cant hurt them just make them fill bad. I dont realy agree, they can have seizers if it goes to high. what do u think about this?he said 107 is realy considered high and can cause brain damage but even then they said it is caused by like menigitis
@thisisme (263)
Many parents fear that fevers will cause brain damage. Brain damage from a fever will not occur unless the fever is over 107.6 degrees F (42C) for an extended period of time. Many also fear that untreated fevers will keep going higher and higher, up to 107 degrees F or even more. Untreated fevers caused by infection will seldom go over 105 degrees unless the child is overdressed, or trapped in a hot place. The brain's thermostat will stop the fever from climbing above 106 degrees F. Some parents fear that fevers will cause seizures. For the great majority of children this is not the case. About 4% of children, though, will sometimes have seizures with fever. These febrile seizures are caused by rapid increase in temperature, not by the height of the temperature. Once a child already has a high fever, a febrile seizure is unlikely with the current illness. In any event, febrile seizures are over in moments with no lasting consequences. Treating fevers early in these children may prevent further febrile seizures
@MINDY0882 (2304)
thanks for the info , maybe he was right but still being almost 104 worrys me, my nephew has seizures with high fever
@thisisme (263)
i think 105 is brain damage... humm your doctor is wired. i would have to double check though. look it up in the internet.
@MINDY0882 (2304)
yeah sounded funny to me too that was the er doctor not there pediatrician
@ossie16d (11834)
I always thought that 105 was the danger point and in fact would always take anyone who had a temperature of 103 for treatment because it can rise so quickly, particularly in children. I hope that your son is fully recovered now and has suffered no ill effects. I also think that you did the right thing in taking him to the Hospital.
@MINDY0882 (2304)
thanks he is better he ran fever the next few days almost a week from when it started but better now
@Sir_bobby88 (8245)
God bless your son
@insecure (612)
keep them away