When to upgrade?

@pelo26 (1553)
How do you decide when its the right time to trash your old PC and to upgrade to a new and faster one? With the rate PC technology is evolving , your new PC today might be a thing of the past 1 to 2 years later. How do we cope up with this pace? Computer hardware don't really come cheap.
@andben (1076)
Well, you have to think about what do you usually do with your computer. This is the only issue. You don't have to buy a new pc only because your pc is old. If you feel comfortable with your pc keep it and save money. When you realize that your pc is too slow for new software that you really use change some parts of your pc, it's not necessary to change all. If you pc run windows xp without problems don't change to Windows Vista if you don't need it. I have a pc bought in the 2003 with an AMD Athlon 2400+ cpu with Linux installed and I'm really satisfied.
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
This is a realistic approach, and whether you actually need to upgrade does depend on the use of it. I agree that the majority of home computers are over spec to a large degree.
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
I always try to make sure that my motherboard has the scope for upgrading, so I can improve the RAM and change PCI cards as technology progresses. Obviously this will only suffice for a while, so when technology reaches the point at which I appear to be trailing to a great degree I replace the whole system. I normally last a couple of years before having to change completely, which is expensive but my computer is my passion so the cash is well spent.
Well I would say when you need to working on some higher programs like graphics designing, animation or say like web programmming that time you have to do PC upgradation. Another reason is when you feel your pc getting slow processing then also you can upgrade your pc. Some of programms need high configuration for running that programms smoothly. So you can upgrade your pc.