renting or owning

@pudgles (414)
i was always renting and wanted my own home. for i like to interior decorate, have a garden, etc. without having to get permission from the owner to do so. but i bought my first home in 2005 and find that owning a home is alot more expensive than renting. sure, you can paint, plant, etc without permission, but now you have extra bills, like water, taxes, insurance, sewage, etc. which do you like better? renting? owning? and why...
Owning is nice you can do what you want to do in the yard but becareful when buying. When i bought my first house i had all kinds of plans for it.Yea right found out later the roof leaked. the plumbing was plugged up.. The furnace didnt work.. in the summer i think it was on a ant hill cause im would get a lot of ants in the house. There goed the money I had saved to take a vacation or fix up my yard.. OH and the interest rates. buy a house for $75,000 and when all said and done you paid over $500,000 with the interest. Dont think i can sell the house for that much.....
@pudgles (414)
i hear what you are saying, i am in kinda of the same boat. i bought my first house in 2005 which was a new construction 3 bedroom. well, a few weeks down the road, mold/mildew showed up, the septic failed and it turns out the house is really a 2bdrm with a 2bdrm septic.it was built wrong, can't breathe, too tight i am told and the town revoked my occapantcy and i paid 186,000 for it. well, it is still in courts battle, but i am paying for a house that has to be knocked down & rebuilt, then sold for i needed a 3 bdrm.so, i think we should warn alot of home buyers out their to be very careful, for what they think they are buying, could be disguised and check the interest as well...i am sorry for your troubles, i wish there was some way we can prevent this from happening to anyone else.
@bgerig (1259)
I recommend owning....even if it is a smaller place than what you could rent. You are building equity. Of course, one is also responsible for the taxes, upkeep, etc.