Epsom salt craft

By Raz
@razcal2267 (15577)
I have posted about so many ways that I use Epsom salt but I forgot to mention my most interesting use for this product. I hate that our shower doors always look dirty even though they aren't, they are just old. So when I saw this craft idea I had to give it a try. I have redone the shower doors three different times now because it does wash off. 4 tablespoons Epsom salt 1 cup beer Dissolve Epsom salt in beer. Apply with a 2-inch wide brush to the inside of the windowpanes. It dries well, lasts a long time and, when washed off, is easily re-applied. * You can get different looks when using different materials to apply. I like using an old sponge. I just dip it into the above mixture and dabbing it on.
@blondbat (504)
Is this used as a kind of frosted effect? I am kind of interested in this as a decorative effect. We have an area below-decks on our boat that has a mirrored surface. I don't think it is glass, though. I had wanted to do a decorative stenciled frosted effect on this area, but did not want to do something permanent, in case we sell the boat (issues in the marina may force the sale). This area is at the head of one of the sleeping areas (think headboard - kind of) Do you know if this would stand up to any wear, rubbing of cushions or pillows? How long does this last? I don't want to be re-doing this too frequently. If you have any pics, or can take one, can you forward this to me off-forum? I think my email is in my profile. Or send it thru mylot messages by adding me as a friend (I think that's how that works) Great idea!! Thanks for the post!
@razcal2267 (15577)
Yes it is used for the frosted effect look. I have no idea if it holds up to rubbing but I can tell you that it holds up to water and steam as I have it in the bathroom. I have done it three times because I wanted different designs not because it actually needed it be done again. I am not exactly sure how long it really lasts but I can tell you that I know a few people that do touch ups when needed so they so not have to clean it off and start from scratch again. I do not have any pictures of it because I do not even own a camera at this point.
@blondbat (504)
I am definitely going to have to try that! That sounds so cool! Thanks again for the post, and the answer. Sorry it took me so long to respond, been playing in other areas of the 'net.
That's a really interesting craft idea. I never thought about this. In fact I'm shocked that someone actually did think about this.
@razcal2267 (15577)
So was I but then again someone thought to clean a toilet with a can of coke so you never know.
OH wow... .interesting indeed! I have a curtain and hope that IF and when my landlord decides to put in an actual shower he decides to keep it that way so I don't have to bother with those icky doors and tracks, etc. With a curtain you can easily toss it in to wash or when it's just too worn out... time for a new one!
@jbrowsin66 (1322)
I've long given up those shower doors and prefer a good old curtain and liner. The liners are really cheap and I replace them when they get gunky. I'm glad somebody has a solution though!
@venshida (4839)
Interesting, I have to clean my shower door this weekend I will try this. Thanks
@loved1 (5338)
I am going to try this today! I am so excited!!! We are getting a new shower soon anyway so this is the perfect time to try out this great idea. I wonder what would happen if you added a bit of food coloring to the mix. Have you ever tried it? How long does it take to wash off, and do you have to use a cleaner or just water?
@creematee (2810)
Sounds like a fun thing to do. Ih ave some jars that I use for vases and use the epsom salts to hold the dried flowers or candles in place. I may use that to just "etch" the jar, too!
@Phlamingho (7834)
• Denmark
What is Epsom salt exactly?
@creematee (2810)
Epsom salts are a salt that is used for healing purposes. I remember my Mom soaking her feat in Epsom water to exfoiate the dry chapped caluses. People also gargle with it when they have sore throats. If I remember, it should not be eaten. It dissolves quickly. It can be found at the pharmacy. Hope this helps a little. :)