Will my kids EVER get back to school???

@creematee (2810)
The weather has been pretty bad here in Eastern Iowa. It all started last week, Wed. when my son came down with the flu. He had to stay home Wed. and Thurs. because of it. Friday the kids had no school. It was a SCHEDULED snow-make up day. Since we didn't need to use it, the kids didn't have school. Saturday came and was the worst storm this winter. Power lines knocked down, ice over 1 inch thick with 8-12 inches of snow on top of that. Well, the town we share schools with didn't have power all weekend. no school until Wed. when the power lines were restored. Wed. came and they DID start the day. It started sleeting, so they were sent home early. (UGH!) They haven't been back since. Now there is talk of MORE snow, rain, sleet, and wind over the weekend. All the stuff I loved as a child, but despise as an adult!
@loved1 (5338)
This post is so familiar I could have written it myself. I would not be surprised if you lived just a few miles from me. The town our school is combined with also had no power causing us to cancel school all week, except for one day that they only went until noon. I do home daycare so I had a housefull of stir crazy kids all week. It is hard to believe that the horrible ice storm was so recent and today my kids went to school in hooded sweatshirts because it is supposed to be 60 degrees. Welcome to Iowa huh?
@creematee (2810)
My grandfather always said "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 min.--it'll change." That is so true about Iowa weather. I hope you kept your sanity during those long days. Fortunately, We had gotten stocked up on chocolate before it all happened, so my seratonin levels were pretty high. LOL! Where in Iowa are you from? You can send me email if you don't want to answer in the forum. :)
@Bev1986 (1428)
I've heard how terrible it has been in Iowa..... that's just horrible! We've had more snow days this year (just in February) than we have in years.... they always build in snow make up days into the school calendar but haven't had to use them for at least 3 years. This year, they have to use them... meaning the days they were scheduled off, they will now have to go because they have to make up the missed days because of snow. That cuts Easter break down to Good Friday only.... bummer!
@creematee (2810)
Our school has those built in days, too. Never used them. Now that we need them, they are gone! :) I'm sure the kids will have school over Easter break, too. That's OK, though. Rather have it done now, than extend the year into summer.
@beaniegdi (1966)
you poor soul. I know how hard it is from whn my sons where younger how hard it is when they are off school. Plus I don't like it when it snows unless I have everything I need in and don't have to go out for any reason. In england this winter we have had very mild weather it has been like spring for weeks. I like it but it has been very strange. At least at this time of year we know that no matter hwo bad it gets spring is almost here. It's worse I think if winter starts like this and you know you may have months of this in front of you.
@creematee (2810)
Thank you for your words of kindness. Yes, it's been tough, but fortuanately I can love them one more day. My hubby said that he will try to come home from work early to help out a little. I have a neighbor from England. She's 13, and said that this is her first time seeing "proper snow." She's had enough now, and ready to go back. :)