How to get rid of telesales people !

@mummymo (23707)
My grandma (who's 83) has came up with a fantastic way of getting rid of the telsales people who call her she just speaks very slowly and quietly and says 'I'm an oap you know - my son looks after my money!' No disrespect to any telesales people out there but it can be virtually impossible to get them off the phone without being rude and hanging up! I'd love to hear how you guys get rid of them!
@catcai (1057)
I know what you folks feel regarding telemarketers, i used to work for a contact center myself- i make outbound calls but we dont sell- we just do surveys, and what i can tell you is how people avoid us... most of their avoiding tactics are being able to sound asian and spanish or french or anything else other than american and what they do= is say their most famous line..."NO ENGLISH" and they keep on saying that for like 10x or more.. well some of them are really chinese and spanish but- come on, how can u have a business in the US when you dont know any english at all? but i can't blame these people though. What else- our responders also do the "Im sorry honey your lines messed up i cant hear u... what? say what again? i cant hear you? louder?" script, when this happens i just give my courtesy close and go on with the next call...i guess you could say that im not a very persuasive agent- hmm what else, oh yeah some of them also use insults- which rather very rude, i mean you cant blame us if we call because thats our job right? we all have to find means of living and earning- but i really cant expect the people we call to understand that cus they have also been probably bombarded by irritating callers for god knows how many times that day... so where was i.. rudenes and insults, when we call they answer and theyre like- "huh what? i cant understand what your saying, what kind of language is that" (meaning to say if they hear u with your native accent and know ur not american) or they do this "where the hell did you learn your english! you suck at it man! go back to school" stuffs like that.. and some make the rude perv move like "so tell me what are you wearing... blah blah.." you know what i mean... Well thats as far as i can think of- How some people get rid of agents like us...
@mummymo (23707)
That is exactly why I won't be rude! Insulting snd abusing someone is just so wrong - I am really could at doing that in my job when I need to(I work in a pub) but hate to do it any other time!!! Sorry for those insults you had when you were only trying to do a job!
@mfpsassy (2827)
I let my hubby "play with them" I love caller i.d. When I get one who calls a million times a day I tell him to answer it.
@mummymo (23707)
That's what my partner does and I end up feeling really sorry for them!!! What if they have children to feed and he can keep them on the phone for sooo long!
@mfpsassy (2827)
Then they should not try to bug me all day, or during dinner. I usually end up laughing my head off. Since they never seem to figure out that we are anywhere from about 3 hours to a half of day behind in time. It gets extremely annoying when your phone starts ring at about 5 in the morning and never stops.
@mummymo (23707)
if they called me at 5 am the air would be blue! xxx
@weemam (13377)
Hi Mo , I tell them that my husband is a very old fashioned guy and he won't allow me to change anything , I say " yes I know its a good idea but my hubby just won't allow it sorry but thank you anyway , , lol you know my hubby pal, so do you believe it ? xx
@mummymo (23707)
OH you naughty girl how could you tell a whopper of a lie like that about such a sweetheart!!!!!!! You are so lovely I can't imagine you telling a lie! Mind you you're not that lovely now - you've got me addicted to this site!!!!! (just joking I still think you're wonderful x)
@weemam (13377)
you are right he is a sweetheart and they are few and far between xxxxx
@imsilver (1668)
I listen to the original spiel because I used to be a telemarketer myself and understand that they are just doing their job but when they take a break I pipe in with the fact that I have absolutely no interest in whatever it is they are selling and just hang up.
@mummymo (23707)
I always try to be polite cos although I've never done the job I know they are trying to make a living. Aleways a bit scared of hanging up - don't know why!?!
That's generally what I do too, I'll listen until they give me a chance to get a word in, then politely tell them I'm really not interested.
@raydene (9875)
Here in US it has been a great big pain in the a**!I ask is this a sales call and if they say yes I say to take this number off your list and good bye and hang up.If they call after being asked to be taken off the list they can be fined so that usually does it....Sorry it is rude but then ya know what a rude lot we Americans are!lol R
@mummymo (23707)
I don't know why I've got a problem hanging up - my pop used to say I should have been bor with a phone in my hand - maybe thats why!
I am also an old age pensioner (senior citizen in the US)I also used a toll free number and it stopped the calls. Before I had that feature I used to answer the phone in German and it used to drive them nuts and it was funny to hear the uncomplimentary things they would say thinking you didn't understand. I told a friend about this and she said she didn't speak any other languages so I told to try talking gibberish..she did and also received some very funny responses. LOL
@mummymo (23707)
I can speak a bit of German but knowing my luck they'd be fluent German speakers!!! LOL!!
@gabs8513 (48715)
Lol I think I will try that to as there are so many determent Telesales People about and I know Not all of them but to me they seem more persistent then ever and will not accept no for an answer. I end up getting frustrated as they just carry on while you are politely saying no so I end up putting the Phone down.
@mummymo (23707)
that is probably the easiest way but I do feel sorry for some of them as they are trying to keep a job - don't think its a job I could do! Why do I have this fear of hanging up on them?
@rusty2rusty (6767)
• Defiance, Ohio
One time an AOL telemarketer kept calling the house. My husband had answering the phone right as we were going out of the house. To go to my doctors appointment. He tried to be polite and tell them no. But the telemarketer kept up anyways. He finally told them that he didn't want AOL services because he had shot his wife the night before. (He did shoot me in the leg the night before. That was why we were going to the doctors.) The telemarketer didn't say a word and hung up on my husband. This is a true story..I swear.
@mummymo (23707)
OH my word! didn't know whether to laugh or worry when I read this! Hope you're husband is grovelling big time and you're leg is better now! Don't think I'd go to that extreme although I'm sure there are times my partner would happily oblige...
@Sicantik (706)
I normaly say that I am only a cleaner in this house... In away is true I am full time mum and I clean the house...xx
@mummymo (23707)
yep we mums do cover a lot of jobs don't we!
A while ago we were plagued with telesales calls, daytime and evenings, finally my partner came up with a wonderful way to stop it. When they ring we answer the phone, as soon as we know they are telesales, we say "please hold the line for a moment" then we put the phone down on the table and walk away. We can continue to eat our meal, or watch television, or whatever we were doing before being interrupted. After about 10-15 minutes we replace the phone. It's their money they are wasting and it means that while they are holding on the phone, no other telesales calls can come through
@mummymo (23707)
lol - fantastic - I like that!