pre-menopause

@tess1960 (2386)
I am 46 and will soon turn 47. Different things are starting to weigh on my mind, such as: The doctor says my hormone levels are not low enough to be of concern, yet. So then why am I having hot flashes, cold sweats and my body fat is changing where it latches onto. I used to always have flatter stomach area and bigger hips and butt. Now I have gained a stomach. And I've notice that the used to be dark hairs on my legs have lightened a lot and I can go weeks without needing to shave my legs. It used to be I looked like a monkey after just 3 days. I have spoken to my mom and Aunts, about menopause and what to expect. I've looked at brochures and different websites. They all seem to give "canned" answers. What I would like to hear is the unusual things that happened to women to make them realize that menopause has hit. And what unusual/unexpected sypmptoms occured before, during and after diagnosis.
@maclinda (91)
Well, the thing about "canned" answers is that that information is gathered from large numbers of people. They then come up with "averages" and "normals" etc. But the thing of it is, patients don't read the books! (just partly joking, there) In other words, we're each an individual with different chemistries and different processes. When studies come up with "normal" numbers, what they're referring to is the vast majority of people who are with a certain range. But there are still quite a few that registered higher or lower. So you can indeed have menopausal symptoms, yet your numbers are "normal" range. Every woman is different, and every woman goes through the change at her own perfect pace. You might see a trend from looking at your female relatives, but you may not follow that trend exactly.
@tess1960 (2386)
thanks, i now several of my relatives started everything early and i have been following that trend. mencies by age 11, breats by age 11, had a partial hysterectomy at age 35 so really just seem to think this menopause thing may come on early too. hubby turned 50 last dec. and made me realize we are getting close to a whole new range of events in our biological lives.
@wenfri (1188)
I think I was about the same age when I started all that too Hateful stuff it is Have you requested blood work to be done for that reason. How do they know your hormones levels are low if they haven't. Dam near throttled my Doc when he said I was too young to worry about. LOL Had him by the throat I did LOL I amjealous I still have to shave my legs I was working full time (shift work) Would have to take 3 shirts with so I could changed the wet one and put on a dry one. When I was home I would have cold showers in the middle of the night. Couldn't sleep a full night. hated myself, my job, my family in general. Didn't dare look at me I was a living shrew. Till they put on estrogen and it brought me back to normal Well as normal as I get. LOL I had no one to guide me My mom had a hestorectomy right after the last child so history there It is hard but that too shall pass Wendy
@tess1960 (2386)
It is so good to hear from another on this. AS it is I am having hot flashes, some sleep differences but most I am noticing that the hair on my legs and under arms are light and not coming in hardly at all. I used to shave 2 or 3 times a week and daily in the summer, real dark heavy growth. Now I am down to shaving about every other week. It is so strange. No one ever told me about this. Mind you I am not complaining. My weight has shifted to the abdomine also. And well I am dry more, if you know what I mean. hubby is understanding and all and we are dealing with it, but wow, this is strange. Doc did my bloodwork and says everything is ok. So if this is pre-stuff I think I may kill someone when it actually happens. Thanks for replying.
About 4 years ago I was told that I was pre-menopausal. I had passed out at a restaurant. Hubby took me to the hospital. They asked a bunch of questions, made sure I wasn't pregnant, at 51, and sent me home. My doctor told me that I was going through the change. No one ever gave me any tests, no blood tests or anything. They were guessing. I do get hot flashes at night and sometimes during the day. Mood swings are almost daily. I have never been diagnosed as going through menopause. I am just assuming it. I haven't had a cycle since 2002. There is not enough information out there. The doctors here are unwilling to talk about it. I am just taking vitamins and supplements. The docs here just don't take the time to talk to you. They always refer you to someone else. It really drives me crazy. I don't have much faith in the system at all.