Need recipe for lasagna filling!

I decided to do a lasagna tonight for dinner and instead of the traditional ricotta cheese I wanted to add to it. Is there anyone out there who has a great spin on the filling? I usually use a mixture of cheeses.. I have heard of doing a layer of spinach however I dont have any. Does anyone have a great filling recipe they use that is a hit with everyone? Just thought I'd do something different for once. Suggestions appreciated!
I have tried many ways. But, always with cheese included. If you do not want meat or chicken, you can use brocolli, mushrooms, spinich, artichoke, and slivered carrots. I use monzerella and ricotta cheese with one raw egg mixed into the ricotta. Then layer with what ever you enjoy. Or, you can use cheddar cheese with the veggies, as that will taste good mixed with a little sour cream. Let your imagination go with the likes of tastes in your family.
That sounds really good. I never thought of adding in brocolli and carrots. I think we may have to try that next time. I heard of using that with an alfredo sauce in place of the meatsauce too.
I love lasagna. I make it atleast once a month. I NEVER used ricotta because I dont like it. The last time I made it, I used sliced mozarella for my bottom layers, and topped it with Pizza grated cheese from Kraft. (It was SOO good..the sliced cheese melted perfectly) My dad said it was the best lasagna I ever made.. I know people who use cottage cheese, it tastes good too. It's cheaper than using a lot of versions of cheese. You just layer it like you would with shredded cheeses.
We didnt think of that and will definitely try this next time. We do like ricotta but with both added together, I bet it will be so good.
@winky73 (1396)
You can use cottage cheese insted of ricotta.I like using roasted onions and mushrooms with a little garlic.It gives it a different flavor.Hope this helps!!
I ended up adding cottage cheese to my ricotta and it made it so much better.. thanks for the idea!
you can saute garlic & onions in olive oil then add lean ground beef & meatballs with pepper , salt , parsley flakes , oregano & salt to taste . . cook for few minutes then add tomato paste & tomato chunks then boil to cook & pile-up with lasagna with shredded mozzarella or provolone cheese then bake & dash with parmesan cheese on top before serving ! this pasta is great with toasted garlic bread !
@asfi123 (955)
here are some recipes for you Tofu Lasagna Filling (ricotta Substitute) This is great if you want to make a dairy-free lasagna. Firmness of tofu will determine texture of "ricotta". . 1 lb tofu 1 tablespoon garlic powder 1 teaspoon oregano 1 teaspoon basil 1 teaspoon lemon juice 1 tablespoon olive oil Blend all ingredients well. Use in lasagna recipe in place of ricotta. hope you liked it