What do you beat yourself up over?

My tendency is to beat myself up over wanting to do something and then not knowing how to do it, and consequently never doing it because I don't want to screw it up. My wife, on the other hand, beats herself up over almost everything. Does anyone else do anything like this? This could turn out to be cathartic. Let's see.
I beat myself up when I give someone a second chance then they let me down again.
I understand, but isn't that just human nature at work. Don't we all want to believe the best in people.
@sigma77 (5385)
I quit doing this to myself. It is very unhealthy and serves no purpose. It resaults from a lack of self-worth and self-esteem. We are not perfect and even if we fail at something that doesn't mean we can't attempt it again. Or, we could find something that we like even better and try that. Failing, making mistakes or errors really doesn't mean we are failures. Sometimes, you have to keep plugging away until you get it the way you want. If it is something that you want bad enough and it is important to you, never give up on it. I am in that battle right now with attempting to make a living from home. I am not giving up and if I have to go down, it will be screaming and kicking.
Congratulations. As long as we don't quit, we are not a failure. As long as we keep trying, we are still in the game. I know where you are coming from about going down screaming and kicking. I used to be that way about the 21ST Century. I have now been dragged into it while kicking and screaming. Especially as it applies to this infernal machine that I am trying to make do what I want it to do. COMPUTER, AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
• Marion, Kansas
I am bad about being mean to myself. My brother the preacher says "Don't should on yourself." and I try to remember. I firmly believe that action, whatever the action, tends to bring freedom and accomplishment.
Thank you for your well thought out response. Action is usually the best cure for fear of failure.