Questions about flying. Need answers by this time next week.

Ok. Since this is the first time I will be flying, I have some questions that I would like help answering. How long before the flight should I be at the airport? My flight leaves at 6:54am and I plan to have two suitcases and my laptop case as luggage. Both of my suitcases are a size that state carryon on the labels. Does this mean that I can take them on the plane with me or would it be easier to check one or both of them and just keep the laptop with me? Is there anything that can help me get checked in faster? I have online tickets for the flights. Any help with these questions would be appreciated.
@nicolec (2673)
It depends on what airline you are flying and if you are going international. that early in the morning i would suggest being at the airport an hour before. there usually isn't much traffic that early. Most airlines allow two carry ons. So three bags, assuming your laptop is in it's own bag, might be too much. And I didn't check if you are male or female (sorry) but if you have a purse that would make 4 bags. I would suggest checking your suitcases and carrying your laptop. At security you will have to take your laptop out for inspection, so be prepared for this so as not to hold up the line. Also, are you flying in the US? you have to be careful of liquids. Some airports do not allow any liquids in large containers. If you have online tickets, you don't have to stand in line for the counter, but use a kiosk at the counter. It's faster and you can still check your luggage there. Happy travels.
Thank you very much for your help in this. I have looked into what I am allowed to take on with me. I think it will be a very exciting trip for me.
I have always been on the opinion that it is a good idea to be at the airport at least an hour before you are due to check in. The suitcases will be fine checked in, and you can keep the laptop with you. Perhaps you should check with your airline to see if they have any restrictions or other suggestions.
Thank you for all the suggestions. They are appreciated. I think it should be a fun trip.