If you have neighbours close by......

@caramello (4381)
Australia
do you like to socialise with them or keep it at a "friendship neighbour" basis?
@The_Eagle_1 (1123)
I don't get much time to socialise at the best of times, but at the same time respond politely to conversations which arise on the odd occasion! Most people nowadays are not as outgoing, maybe there has been a diminishing of trust in people in general, plus I think as one gets more life experience, one tends not to worry about or make the effort to fit in as much and rather nave people except us as we are!
@caramello (4381)
Nicely said Eagle your evaluation just about sums it up.
@lols189 (4797)
i just say hello everytime i see my neighbours as some are nice people and some are not but i let on to all of them
@caramello (4381)
That is handling the situation nicely lols and you cannot get yourself into trouble for that! lol
@ironstruck (2299)
I think socializing with neighbors is a mistake, because they get a little too involved in your life. I think it is best to keep them at arms length with a "hello, have a nice day," type of relationship. It is best to make friends with people who live 'out' of your neighborhood. You don't need someone looking over your shoulder every time you have some company over.
@caramello (4381)
There is a fine line to be drawn on how far you wish to go in the relationship with your neighbours and it is finding that out and then go from there!
For the most part I have always been more of a "keep to yourself" type person. Currently I interact very little with my neighbors, and I think thats partly because I am white in an almost entirely black neighborhood. I also am very picky and choosy about who my children associate with, so its harder to just socialize. I want to reach out more, I just haven't figured out how to do it here.
@caramello (4381)
It is a challenge to reach out of our comfort zones at times but when we do we usually regret not having done it sooner! Good luck and hope it happens to you soon!
I don't really socialize with my neighbors because I'm a very private person, and if ever, I don't want to involve my neighbors in my problems. I could say the friendly "hi" and "hello" but that's it. But of course, if my neighbor comes up to me for help, I would gladly oblige if I could really be of help. Otherwise, since I want to keep my privacy, I also give other people their privacy, too.
@lilaclady (28238)
I like to keep my relationship on a neighbour basis, but I always let them know I am there for them if they need help in anyway...I live a different lifestyle to most of my neighbours ao I like to keep it on these terms onluy because of a past experience....
@lauriefnp (5112)
I have a friendly "neighborly" relationship with my neighbors, but I don't consider any of the to be "friends" and we don't socialize. Most of us are working people and there are very few kids on our court. There are a lot of elderly people who keep to themselves, which is fine. I prefer not to have people too nosy and in my business. I talk with the elderly man next door a lot, but it's more of a friendly, superficial talk.
I generally like to keep to myself. Sometimes, I like to talk to a few of them about what's going on around the neighborhood. But, I've been criticised by my apartment managers as well as a few tenants for not socializing enough. I get angry at that because I don't choose my neighbors and some of them are into some bad things. I just want to live in peace and feel that I shouldn't have to socialize with people I don't want to.
I really don't have any neighbors except two about 3 acres away. It's just a "hi" friendship.
@14missy (3185)
We have only lived in this neighbourhood for about a year but I like just saying a passing hello to my neighbours. I think if their is any problems with the kids or something like that, I would probably call for help but that's as far as it goes and I like my privacy also.
@meljessxena (2317)
i like to just keep in on a friendship basis, but i live on a farm so i have about 4 or so neighbours lol so i do socialise with some.
@ossie16d (11827)
Actually our nearest neighbours are the people who own the property where we have our base, so we do see them regularly. Actually they are farmers, so there are times when we can help them out, even just driving the escort vehicles when machinery is being moved from one place to another. And if you know about the country, that happens regularly but the must also have escort vehicles with wide load signs and flashing lights. There might be times when we do not see them for ages, simply because we are all busy but other times when we see them on a daily basis. What it does mean is that if they are away, we can keep an eye on their place and the same applies when we are away. It is neighbourly in the sense that we care for each other, but at the same time we do not live in each other's pockets. I think that is part of country living in that each knows the other is around should they be needed. We have friends who live in the city or larger towns even and they do not know their neighbours at all. A couple of things is that I don't think I could live that close to people, and if I did then I would want to know a little bit about them. Not in the sense of being pally but more so that if something happened we would each know that the other would be available if needed.
@BELMCstar (1341)
We don't really see our neighbours all that much as we are working all the time. In fact, one of my neighbours came into my shop, and I did not recognise her as I don't see them all that often. However, one of our 'best sets of friends' were neighbours in a 'housing estate'. We did not talk to them for 3 and a half years, as we thought they were 'dropkicks', and they turned out to be really nice people.