Have you ever held an owl?

Ireland
I was lucky enough to visit a festival with birds of prey and had an owl perched on my arm.
I used to live close to a raptor centre and spent many happy hours there as a volunteer helping to clean out the pens and feed the birds. They had close to 100 different birds there, ranging from barn owls up to a gorgeous bald eagle. I was very lucky, I was able to handle a lot of the birds, and the bald eagle was my favourite, she would sit on my wrist and take food from my fingers.
@Zalvor (728)
• Turkey
That sounds totally fantastic! Were you afraid? What precautions would a first-timer need to take?
@seamonkey (1981)
Are those your wol pictures at the top of the page? I see they appeared right before this diiscussion came up. Personally I have never held an owl but I think they are very cool, and very mysterious. They look like they know something no one else does.
@Sir_bobby88 (8245)
No i had never an owl before yea .... and i dont ever dare to hug it as i scare they bit me lol
Thanks for the best response
We went to visit a bird of prey centre one summer and there owls were perching on people's arms. We only had time to let the children have a go as we were in quite a large party so I did not get a turn. They are quite heavy to sit on a child's arm.
@Woodpigeon (3710)
What a great experience that must have been for you! I love owls and falcons and hawks and all sorts of birds of prey. I have never gotten to hold one but I have been to several wildlife centers and also seen some cool live shows at various animal parks. Maybe some day I will be as lucky as you?
@ElicBxn (60883)
I've never held one, but I talked to someone who did rescue work with birds of prey that said most owls were just crazy. I've seen a few in the wild. Once there was a screech owl outside my house & the sounds it made were horrid! I went out with the flashlight & shined it on the owl just so I could see it. Then a few yrs later I was driving thru a neighborhood with a friend & we spotted an owl drinking from the water standing in the gutter. It wasn't a very big owl, but it was definely an owl.
you're so lucky! I love animals but have never gotten to hold one.I live in Florida and they have burrowing owls that live in holes in the ground. I saw one pretty close and was just awed at how magnificent he was .Some people down here think they should be killed off because they are a nuisance but I can think of a much bigger nusance-the human race!I love them and don't care what anyone thinks!
@Zalvor (728)
• Turkey
That sounds very charismatic! I wish I could do that. Were you afraid? Wow!
@pyewacket (44036)
Count yourself lucky that you actually got to have an owl perch on your arm...I love owls myself...and don't laugh..okay, laugh if you want..but since I'm a fan of Harry Potter I swear I would love to have an owl like Hedwig! ;-)