Criteria for Best Responses?

I'm just curious about how you rate the best responses in your discussions. In my case, however, it's just a matter of gut instinct. If I feel that the response is sincere and sensible enough, I don't have a second thought about rating it the best among the best. How about you?
@bgerig (1259)
I agree a lot of it is a gut instinct. But also, I look at how it addresses the discussion subject, any new points the response brings to the discussion, the actual use of proper sentence structure/spelling, etc. I also wait until I have several good ones from which to chose.
yeah, i'm learning to wait for more responses and starting to acknowlege everyone who's taken the time to answer to my discussions. Thank you for the response. You're right of course about all those having weights in deciding which is which. Thank you for the response.
Gut instinct does plays a big role. But some other criteria would be that it must be thoughtful and well-written, effort must be seen, possibly witty and humorous without losing relevance, etc. Or if you are asking a question of a more factual nature, it must give you the correct answer or one that helps you. And of course, if there is a tie, I will give it to the one on my friends' list. :P So, does mine get to be the best response? :P
@yanjiaren (9050)
Sometimes for me it is so hard to choose as some of the responses are euqally as good as each other.I try to give every one a fair chance and as i get a lot of regular people replying tomy discussions i often rotate best responses so every one who replies well ends up with a best response over time.
you're absolutely right! everyone has a sensible thing to say, and has every right to be given a chance to earn the best response.
@secretbear (19472)
i've given a few best responses and as far as i can remember, its those responses that elicited the most nods from me, my widest smile.. and those that really made me think and interested. sometimes those that made me talked back to the computer. lol
Usually I wait at LEAST a month before choosing a best response. The best response is indeed a matter of opinion. Some of these you already mentioned: * The most helpful response * Most sensible * sincerity * Humor I ended up tossing how smoothly the writing flows, as it would be unfair to MyLotters who don't normally speak English. It can be tough also, as the temptation is there to choose from someone on your friends list also. I've seen it where people choose the best response, & then someone else comes along & responds to it, & then the one who started the discussion replied, "too bad I cannot change the best response" which is why I wait a good while. I also have a habit of just passing by a discussion that already has a best response selected. It would be something very compelling for me to respond to that discussion.
I just give it to those who's opinions really had to discussion. I'm not someone who chooses just friends or looks at mistakes. Heartfelt & meaningful.
Yeah, I like your grading criteria. But I don't think I'd ever have a good gut instinct for a one line response, so they do have to have some substance before the repsonse grabs my attention like that.
@mythmoh (3994)
i will wait for 3-5 days before giving a best response.then spend some time and read all the responses and then select the one as it cannot be changed.for all the other response i will give a postive rating.if i get any copycat reply or post with same content i will just give a negative sign.
@palina77 (1178)
It is easy for me as I get maximum 4 or 6 response and mostly are within 1 or 2 so when I find 1 response I choose this single response as best and when two then I prefer response from my friend list, but if I see that someone other responses with more details then I choose that one.
@gabs8513 (48803)
I will rate good Responses and Discussions. When someone response to my Discussion and the response is good I will rate them, if it is just someone putting anything I will give them a Minus. As I know they are just putting it there thinking they will earn a lot of Money.
@kelly60 (4550)
For me the best response is rated on a few things. The response has to be relevant. It has to answer the question, or discuss the topic that the discussion is about. The response must also be a reasonable length. One word, or one line answers are not quality responses, and aren't going to be chosen as best responses. I'm not going to be the spelling or grammar police because I realize that for some members English is their second language, but for those who can only speak in acronyms and not real words, you won't get a best response from me. I look for the response that gives the best answer to my question if I were looking for specific information, or the most relevant information if it were a more general topic. After that, I guess it is left to gut instinct to decide the rest.
@teison2 (5924)
• Norway
i think it is kind of hard to rate the best answer in my discussions. Often there are several that if find almost the same. i do like you and go with my gut feeling. i to pick an answer that i feel are sincere, and that people have given some thought into. Othen the best answer say something that surprises me, something I have not thought of myself. Often they are humourous.