Question about ratings?

@oiixdaii (1059)
Philippines
March 6, 2007 11:10am CST
I just learned a while ago that if you are using Internet Explorer in MyLot, you could actually see your rating if you hover you mouse cursor above your star rating. My current star rating is 88/100. I am wondering how MyLot computes that rating. My hunch is the number 88 in my rating is the average of the number of posts I've made. The missing missing 12 is the number of my posts that is not rated yet. My other hunch is that the remaining 12 is the number of negative ratings that I've received. Do you think my hunch is correct or do you know how MyLot computes this rating?
3 people like this
3 responses
@stephcjh (32385)
• United States
6 Mar 07
It is very possible with the conclusion you have drawn. I'm not sure how it is all calculated up. I had a 95/100 rating for a long time and I had a red star. alot of other people with the same score as I had, got a blue star. I just recently got upgraded to a blue star and my rating number is still 95/100. I sure hope that we are not getting negative ratings which drops our rating number and color down. I'm not sure. I just roll with the flow and mylot has a mind of its own LOL. I think maybe our rating actually comes from our productivity and how well we communicate to others here. I rate every discussions and I avoid the negative rating button as best as I can.
@oiixdaii (1059)
• Philippines
7 Mar 07
I hope so because it would be bad if some person makes fun of putting negative ratings to our discussions.
@anonymili (3140)
7 Mar 07
I don't think we're really supposed to properly understand how the star ratings work. I think many people are more concerned about their star rating than they need to be. If you concentrate on writing the best responses you can and starting interesting discussions which attract quality responses rather than one word answers your credibility increases with the site, i.e your star rating improves. In my mind, I figure that the myLot computer looks at overall how many positive and negative ratings your posts receive and work it out so if your score is 87/100 it may mean 87% of your posts got a + rating and the other 13% got a -. This is guesswork on my part and should not be taken as fact. I think I've seen people starting posts saying they've worked out how it all works but I think those discussions get deleted fairly quickly which in turn reduces your income and I doubt it makes you very popular with myLot as a business if they have to keep deleting discussions. SO I'm basically suggesting that you worry more about writing quality posts that add something of value to existing discussions and/or start discussions yourself that attract good quality responses. There will always be people who might rate you as negative when many many others rate you positive for reasons of their own but as you don't know who rates who and whether it's positive or negative you can't ask people to justify a negative rating, just have to take it on the chin :)
1 person likes this
@oiixdaii (1059)
• Philippines
8 Mar 07
I always try to make my posts meaningful. I guess your right but I can't get the thought out of my mind. I'm just curious how they compute those ratings. I wish I could reach a 10 star rating. It feels great to have a high rating.
@sj_chaudhry (1538)
• Canada
6 Mar 07
your rating is depend on your over all performance at mylot... there si nothing to do with others positive or negative rating..check this out here in guidelines, http://www.mylot.com/o/guidelines.aspx
1 person likes this
@oiixdaii (1059)
• Philippines
7 Mar 07
Thanks for this information. :D