How much do you tip a waitress/waiter?

And what determines how much of a tip you leave? Have you ever not left a tip and if so what was the reason?
@saierchok (1294)
well, here they add the tip to the bill, so it's obligatory to pay the tip! and it's 15% however we increase the amount sometimes if we like the server, and we never come to the same restaurant if the service is bad! this is how it's being done!
Do they add the tip to the bill even if there are only 1 or 2 people in the party? In my area, they usually only add the tip in if there is a party of 8 or more.
@saierchok (1294)
believe me even if you were alone and ordered only tea!! and didn't drink it because you were in a hurry! you're gonna have to pay!!!
@misheleen73 (6037)
I always tip 20%. My husband and I have been known to give more on occasion. The other day for example we were at a restaurant and the server was extremely nice, it was her last day, she was going to stay at home with her little girl and be a stay-at-home mom. We left her a $50 tip because of her service and we wanted to help her out. Around the holidays we even tip delivery drivers alot more too. We have never not left a tip except once we had a woman who was so rude and negligent, we actually left her a penny. We thought that if we left nothing, she might think we were Canadian, they usually don't tip because it is thought that the tip is included in the bill. ( so I've been told) We left the penny so she would know it was for her awful service.
A $50 tip, that was very generous of you! I bet it made that ladies day :)
@Artsimba (1335)
When I go to a restaurant I would tip 20% every time no matter what the bill or service I got. Unless it was really really bad, then I wouln't go back there and I'd probably give 10% of the bill because they do work on their feet, for minimum wage, and they are as pleasant as they can be and they look forward to living off the tips. I would like to take this opportunity to also say that even though I tip small at coffee/donut shops I don't think they should get tips because they don't come to the table to serve you and in my opinion only waiters/waitresses who come to serve you at the tables should get tips, I can't believe that there are places like sub shops, etc. (places you go to the counter to order and pick up your own food have a big tip jar expecting people to tip. To me, this doesn't seem right somehow. Anyway, these are my opinions.
Yeah I have to agree with you. At our local pizza place there is a jar on the counter that says "tips appreciated". I go there and pick up my own food, they don't deliver it to me. I'm sure the girls behind the counter are making more than waitress wages. They aren't waiting on tables at all, they are taking phone orders and walk ins and handing you the pizza box. Now if they were delivering to a table, that would be different. And if I had the pizza delivered to my home, then YES I would tip.
@mbizmom (237)
My boyfriend works in the service industry so we always tip at least 20%. I have never not tipped someone but if they are goofing off and ignoring their tables I would definitely reduce the amount of tip given. Whenever we go out I figure the amount of money we will need including the tip, that way they won't get shorted because we didn't have enough on us. Servers jobs are not easy and they don't get paid much per hour, their tips are how they pay their bills.
My daughter is a server, you are right about them not making much per hour. She makes about $2.50 an hour plus tips. A servers job is not easy either.
@321633wy (1795)
It depends on their service ,i am happy to give more then a dollar if they make me comfortable and welcome.That's very important for me as a customer. However i have never left no tips even i am not so happy with their service ,at least a dollar that's for sure.Because i feel bad if i don't any tips for them,as they depends on tips to earn more.
@LCecelia (1124)
I usually double the tax amount, which comes out to about 16.5% here in Texas. It its an odd amount I usually round it up. I can't recall that I've ever not left a tip. I don't eat in that often. I usually do take out.
@laltu86 (1253)
It purely depends on the service and quality of food served though i know a waiter has nothing to do with the quality of the food still after all i am there for the food only :)
I almost always tip fifteen percent unless they were just REALLY bad. But then it's still at least ten percent. If they're really excellent I will tip them more than fifteen percent. I don't believe I've never left a tip. It might be a low one but I don't think I could walk away without leaving something down unless they insulted me or offended me in some manner on top of crappy service.