Tattoos and Allergies

Thank you to all who responded to my discussion regarding my daughter's tattoo. It turns out the the infection from my daughter's tattoo was due to her having an allergy to the blue ink used in the tattoo. It is getting better, but is crusted over and I the tattoo has lost some of the ink. Her doctor advised her not to have another tattoo due to her Rheumatoid Arthritis and her allergy.
@Willowlady (10666)
Wow, sorry she had to learn that the hard way. Personally was never aware of such a problem with this ink in some people. Glad that she is getting better and that there is an end in sight for this event. Glad that you shared this with all of Mylot. It might help someone else to avoid this.
@cjsmom (1423)
Yes, there are a lot of people who are allergic to the ink. It gets in the blood system and can really cause problems. I don't have anything against those who get them but if you think about it, our bodies weren't meant to have foreign substances injected under the skin. I'm just so glad she is getting better.
@patootie (3593)
That's good to hear .. but I wonder if you have reported the tattooist yet .. ?? After all if he had done his job properly he would have at least warned your daughter there could be problems with her having Rheumatoid Athritis .. he should know this if he is a good tattooist .. and if he goes unreported then maybe the next person who goes and unwittingly gets a tattoo and has RA will not be so 'lucky' as your daughter and could even lose a limb .. or even their life .. I think you owe it to them to at least make sure that he knows he must warn folks ..
@jennybianca (12918)
It is probably good thjat your daughter has found out about an allergy she has. Allergies are a lot more common that some people think. I wonder if there is any connection between the blue ink, and the blue colour used in some medications and foos?
@CatEyes (2449)
There is a connection. I know some friends that are allergic to the blue die in medicine, capsuls and so forth and will get pretty sick if they consume them. I know one of them had to take a capsule that was green, and well all know that green has some blue in it and yup it got her sick.
@gabs8513 (48803)
Oh dear I do hope that she won't have anymore done I am glad though that it is healing and I hope that it will still look ok for her with it loosing the Colour.
The butterfly is not as dramatic as when it was first done, but it is still pretty. The star she later had done is scabbing and not looking so great.
@ElicBxn (59911)
I've never heard of this kind of reaction to a tattoo, yet another reason for my not getting a tattoo. I'd probably be allergic to all the dyes!!!!!!
I am reluctant to get one now that she has had problems. Maybe I should stay with the stick on kind.
@AskAlly (3627)
Well thank goodness that it was not something much worse. I never would have considered being altergic to an ink. The whole story has make me want to reconsider getting a tatoo for my 45 birthday.
@brokentia (10396)
Oh man! That sucks! I didn't know that one could be allergic to the ink! What are the odds of being allergic to the black? Because I am wanting to get one and I often am allergic to things when it comes to my skin. I also say that sucks because she went through all that and she is loosing some of the ink! Is it possible for her to have it fixed with a different color ink. I know he says that she should not have another because of her arthritis...but that really sucks that she went through all that and it will not be perfect for her. I am sorry that your daughter had a reaction! I hope she is ok. :)
Thats a shame. I hope she will be feeling better shortly. Thanks for the update on her.
@dana234 (2126)
• Spain
Good thing she went to see a doctor. I´m glad to hear that she´s getting better. After all the butterfly survived. It´s still visible. As you, I would also reconsider having a tatoo done. It can do so much harm. There are the ones you can have done in a beauty salon which last for about 2 months. Not the same as a permanent one, but it´s an alternative.
@Shaun72 (15968)
• Palatka, Florida
Goodness I might want to rethink about tattoos myself. I have alot of allergies I am glad that she found out what it was that caused it
@kathy77 (7488)
Oh ok that is very interesting to know that the ink in the tattoo did this to your daughter. I do hope that your daughter is ok though and her arm is recovering ok, and of course it is no good to have any more tattoo done due to Rheumatoid Arthritis and with allergies.
@villageanne (8579)
Well, I sure am glad that she went to the Doctor. That could have been really serious. I hope she will listen adn not have another one but what about the ink that is already on her skin from that one. Will it continue to be a problem for her??
@TerryZ (22146)
Im glad she healing and feeling better. Its just not worth it when it comes to your health. I bet she will remember that pain and wont want any more tatoos again.
@Polly1 (12650)
I am glad to hear she is getting better. Its a good thing you found out now, before she got a bigger tattoo and had a bigger reaction.
@CatEyes (2449)
Aww man, that must really peeve her. She went through all of that pain and the ink is not going to be very clear? I hope it clears us and she feels better. People with autoimmune illness usualy have problems like that. I should know; I have tons and could not get my ears peirced becuase of it. too funny and sad at the same time.
I'm so glad your daughter is ok hun and it turned out to be something treatable. With any luck her tattoo will be ok too, and although she won't be having any more, at least you now know what happened.
@maribea (2366)
Oh I hope your daughter is feeling better now and I hope she is not having any bad signs after this accident...unfortunately allergies are always a great problems and we cannot have idea of what we are going throught until it is too late...best wishes to you and your daughter...and yes of course it is better she avoids other tattoos but I am sure she doesn't need any advice because she is sure not trying again!!!
@cabergren (1182)
Wow, I didn't think anyone could be allergic to ink, but I do have a girlfriend that is allergic to the plastic in bandaids. So I guess you can be allergic to anything. Good thing she found this out now. Glad to hear that she is okay.
@kgwat70 (13398)
I am glad that your daughter will be okay and that they figured out what was wrong. I would definitely take the doctors advice about her not having another tattoo because of her arthritis and allergy. Thank you for letting us know how she is doing and what happened.
Oh that is good she is ok. I do hope it still looks like something she can be happy with. It would be sad for her last tattoo to be messed up.