Why cant indians win an oscar?

@ackars (1942)
Indian cinema industry is one of the biggest in the whole of world and it has thousands of actors and actresses in various launguages...Lot of movies of character are being produced here..But still why cant we win an oscar..Even smaller natins which produce little no of cinemas has won many oscars..What do you think the basic problem with the Indian cinema?
I think this year there was a tremendous argument for it, however, the film was so controversial in India that it became disowned and, as a result, was largely completed due to Canadian involvement. Of course, I'm sure you realize I am talking about "Water," a magnificent film starring at least a couple people I'd say were deserving of Oscar nominations...most notably the young Sarala, whose performance as an 8-year-old was better than that of the 10-year-old nominated, Abigail Breslin (though I loved her performance, too). I think there certainly are huge style differences between filmmaking in India and the U.S. The end result is that American audiences simply don't resonate with much of what comes out of India (which is a shame, I agree. Bollywood produces some amazing films). Truthfully, I was disappointed with the foreign language winner this year at the Oscar awards (Pan's Labyrinth was my #1 film of the year). I do think India had a great chance this year, but provided so little support to "Water" that it makes Hollywood question their actual interest in crossing over to the American market. (As you may have heard, individuals opposed to the filming of "Water" in India actually burned down the film's set. This resulted in the film having to relocate). Both "Mother India" and "Lagaan" have been nominated for Oscars, however, I really don't think the Indian film industry should worry about it. While I was troubled by the response to "Water," overall I think the Indian film industry is amazingly creative and offers great films. There are only a few films nominated every year for Oscars and even some amazingly better films never get nominated. This is why even in America we have other awards shows and the Independent Spirit Awards. India offers an amazing film industry and while the publicity that goes with an Oscar would be nice...ultimately, it's about the movies and I don't think they need an Oscar to validate their talent.
bcause we r not following the technical values and the presentation of the movie is always up and down.
@leese29 (341)
These awards are for American films, besides the international award. The Indian cinemas should hold their own awards and give credit to those that deserve it. Don't rely on America to give it, they should start their own award ceremonys, it may be more fair that way anyway. This way they also won't be compared to American films.
@ram_cv (16516)
Before I even start to answer that question, my question to you is "How many Hollywood movies have won the Filmfare award?" The answer is zero. "How many Hollywood superstars have won Filmfare Awards?" The answer is again zero. There in lies your answers. Oscars are like the filmfare awards in US and thus movies made in US have a more scope. Next up, most of the panel are English speaking so regional movies get a minimal chance. The only real option is the foreign film category. There again there is a major disconnect between the Oscar panel and Bollywood. Bollywood is all about extravagance with big sets, big stars, lot of emotions and lot of melodrama. Oscar panels generally tend to look out for pain and suffering or even demented behavior at times. Another factor adding to all this is that only movies successful in India usually make it to the oscars. A movie with the above characteristics is bound to fail at the Box Office. I thought the best shot for Bollywood at the oscars was Lagaan, but again the lack of knowledge of cricket amongst the panel let it down. So there goes the reasons... Cheers! Ram
@abroji (3247)
The Oscars or Accademy awards are for American Films only. The chance for India to win an Oscar is in the best foreign film sector. There is not that much to worry about not winning the Oscar for the best foreign film so far because a number of Indian films have won prestegious awards from many of the international film festivals. Movies by Sathyajit Rai, Mrinal Sen and Adoor Gopalakrishnan have bagged several international awards. Sathyajit Rai was honoured by the Oxford University for his lifelong achievements. The French Government have honoured the late veteran Tamil actor Sivaji Ganesan with the highest civil decoration of Cheveliar. Indian movies have its own unique place in the world of cinema.