When you travel do you dress like a tourist?

tourist........................................... - just visiting................................................
I was wondering how many people here dress like a tourist when they travel. Do you go to a store when you reach your destination and buy a fancy shirt or dress that you think would make you fit in to the location you are visiting? I have noticed here in Hawaii, that alot of people do just that.They go to the tourist trap shops, who buy the way are just waiting for them....and they buy a "loud" tropical dress or shirt...and then wear white socks with their shorts....lol The tourists shops love these people...and gouge them accordingly...I would suggest a money save to whoever wants to shop in a place they are visiting...go where the locals go ...to eat, or shop. You will save alot of money ....(and if visiting Hawaii...shop where the locals shop for clothes...you won't stand out like a tourist)....no offense meant...just a few visiting tips. :)
I used to live in Hawaii, and I know exactly what you're talking about. It's funny, when I lived there, I never wore those loud Hawaiin clothes. I did wear Muumuus, they were very comfortable. I suppose I'd buy maybe one piece of clothing as a souvenier or something. When I went to Mexico, I broke down and bought a shell/hemp necklace. When I was in London I bought a pair of very cool black wool slacks (everyone wears those there). I do stay away from tourist places, though..you can lose your money fast. I usually visit the second hand shops no matter where I go...you can find some great stuff for really cheap.
Where in Hawaii did you live? Were you born here? (I noticed your profile...under places you visited...I think you meant to say "Missoula" (in Montana)...(right?)...I use to live there.
I lived on Ohau and Maui in the late 60's, on beaches or in the jungles. Yes, it was 'Missoula" I meant. I wasn't born in Hawaii, I just spent a couple of years there when I was 12 and 13, and then later when I was 18 and 19. I was born in Northern California. I'd like to see Hawaii again, but I'm afraid it would break my heart, as where I used to live is probably covered with motels and golf courses, now. I'll just remember it the way it used to be..which was wild and untamed at the time (mostly on Maui that is).
Maybe if you could name a few specific locations on Maui, if I get out to the locations I could snap some photos for you. :)
I would love to visit Hawaii and if I ever have that opportunity, I will certainly follow your advice. I am not sure the clothes will suit me, but if I feel like I am sticking out like a sore thumb then I will dress accordingly...lol.
@mdarma (868)
When I go on a tour, I prefer to use something that I am very comfortable in not necesaary fancy clothings. Your suggestion to avoid the tourist shopping centres are very true. In these centres the shops will rip you off your money. It is good to visit, where the local go to, it would be much better, if you have a friend there to accompany you. This friend can guide you to a good shop and he can be your adviser to tell you whether you are over paying any purchases. If anyone planning for trip, then to you HAPPY HOLIDAY Cheers
@chardyme (1633)
when i travel i just dressed up the way i always dress up. no fancy things. its the experience in the place that you travelled that counts.
@Denmarkguy (1845)
To whatever degree I can, I try to dress as much as possible like the local population, so I just more or less "blend in." Of course, that's not possible in ALL locations, but in many cases it is. I prefer not to "stand out" in any way that might identify me as a "target" for petty criminal activity. If I shop at some locale I am visiting, it's almost NEVER at "tourist shops," except if I need to buy "cheesy" souvenirs for people back home.