Missing my Dad

Well, it's here. Today is 3rd anniversary of the day we found out that my Dad was dieing from Stage 4 Liver Cancer. We lost him 3 years ago on June 30th. I had just over 3 months to say goodbye, which I'm thankful for, because it allowed us to spend some quality time together. It's funny, if you believe in God as I do, how He sends things along to you at just the right time. This morning, as I was driving in to work, feeling kind of sorry for myself, I switched radio stations because the dj's on the station I usually listen to in the morning were just being stupid, and quite frankly I didn't feel like hearing it today. As I tuned in to my local KLOVE station...a song was just beginning. It was off of the Mark Harris (who used to sing with 4Him) and it was called "Wish you were here". It was almost as if God had them play that song and my Dad was talking to me. Go to Lyrics.com and take a look at the words, or better yet..markharris.com and listen to the song. It's fantastic. Say a prayer for me today...I'm still a bit weepy.
@Willowlady (10666)
Thanks for sharing this today. We stand with you in your low time. Of course prayers are offered for you and your family. It was good for the good bye time. Those memories are what you have to hang on to. Time to live the time of honoring his memory and he would wish you to be happy. Good luck with this as you live on.
I appreciate all the prayers. Father's day is coming, and that day is always hard because we would always spend it together.
@slickcut (8141)
Hello carpenters, I am so sorry about your dad..I also lost my dad, and last year i lost my Mom..I feel so sad because yes i miss them very badly....I do believe in God,with all my heart.I have been blessed to have my mom to the age of 88 years,but we are never really ready for them to go..Its good that God gave you those 3 months to enjoy your dad before he took him home.I am so happy that i was raised to believe in God,I don't know what i would do without him.I think he talks to us through songs and small ways like he did to you this morning.It is so wonderful to know that we have a God that takes our parents in the safety of his arms and gives them everlasting life in heaven above..We never really die we just pass from this world into another and i know that God is making your dad very happy,it is us that remain that are the worst off...Our hope is to see them again in heaven...God Bless
Do you ever have something happen, and think I need to call Dad...only to realize that you can't? I've even picked up the cell phone to call him and then I'll think what am i doing?
@slickcut (8141)
Yes i have, and my dad lived out of town and i talked to him on the phone and every 2 months he came and stayed a few days.After he passed away, i would think i heard his car,and i would run and look out to see him ,only to realize he was gone.That feeling never goes away, it just gets easier to bear as time passes...I am sorry that you are going through this hard time.Just ask God to help you,thats what i did...Our parents is very important in our lives so always stay close to them and the memories will be sweet..
I asked God every day to help me get through. i've been able to be there for others since then, that I wouldn't have known how to talk to if I hadn't already lost my own dad.
I am sorry to hear about you losing your dad .I am glad that you had sometime to say good -bye to him.I can't imagine how hard that is . Good is indeed very good to us and knows exactly what we need . He is wanting to bless us and encourage us . Wow, thanks for sending us to MarkHarrisonline.com I had not heard of that artist before at all . That song was really nice. Take care, and I will pray for you .
thanks for this response. I am thankful that I had time to say goodbye to him. He could have been taking from me and I never would have had that chance, like in a car accident or something. That is a comfort believe it or not.
@byfaithonly (10716)
Yes, God does have a way of knowing our needs each and every day, every minute and every second. I also know what you are going through, I lost my father over 10 years ago and I still think of him. We didn't have a good relationship my whole life but he was my father. He also wasn't a Christian man and anytime I would go to church he would snidly ask if they sang his favorite song, "The Old Rugged Cross"? I think it was the only Christian song he knew but I still think of my father and cry every time I hear that song. Just humming it in my head now makes me cry for him. Dear Heavenly Father, we thank you Lord for our earthly fathers and all the other things you have given us. We thank you for giving your Son that we may find salvation and spend eternity with you in Heaven. Father please comfort carpenter during this day and always as she thinks of her father. Let her feel Your arms around her as she misses her earthly father. I praise you Father for your strength and comfort and encouragement through all our times of need. I ask these things in Jesus' name, Amen.
When you have had a big loss it is wonderful how God sends comfort. I prayed for you just now. I will try to remember later today as well. For me, Easter brings a sweet assurance about the losses we have, and the reunions we will have. God bless.
thank you for praying for me. You don't understand how much it helped. I even made it through Mother's Day without thinking crying much. Mother's Day 2 years ago, was the last holiday that he wasn't too sick to get out of bed.
I sang that song in church a couple times. It made me cry because it made me think of a loved one up in Heaven. God sends the smallest blessings to use sometimes. I think I often feel more blessed for the little things that get me through than the big things. I hope as the years go on, you feel less pain, and continue to feel more love.
Thanks for this. There are actually two songs with almost the same name. One is a southern gospel song, and the other more contemporary and I understand there is also a country song with something similiar? It's amazing how God speaks to you in so many different ways when you need it.
Mine was southern gospel I believe, but I have heard the contemporary. I haven't heard the country song by that name though.
I haven't heard that version, no. But I'll be sure to find it and see if I can listen to it online.
I lost my dad to cancer 15 years ago. I still miss him today. He was a lovely man and fathered 10 children. I find myself talking to him even today. He had a way about him that was special. He played accordian and played it from the heart. I have never heard anyone play like he did. The sorrow gets lighter as the years go along but there is always this empty spot for my dad who I loved so very much. I will go to that site and listen to that song. Thank you for sharing.
It gets a little easier with each passing day, partly because I know he's in heaven and he's not hurting anymore. It doesn't keep me from missing him. Thanks for reaching out to someone else who knows your pain.