why do people tend to hide their feelings?

people hide their feelings very often even on people close to them. what do you guys think so?
@amaine (2037)
Aww, I can relate to this post so much. I am in a relationship right now. And before I made a decision to be with him, I tend to hide my feelings. We were good friends. Close of friends. I do not know but I do not want to ruin that relationship just because of my feelings. But then, he started to tell me that he loved me, but he would not ask for anything in return. By then, I also told him what I felt. But we kept on hiding our feelings from other people. Maybe because we do not want others to get involved. And, for some reasons, people will not approve of our relationship. But, now, I started to realize that I should start showing others what I really feel. That I would not care about what would others say. Some tend to hide their feelings is because of fear. Fear of taking risks. But now, I took the risk and will actually overcome that fear. =p
thanks for sharing your story. i understand you. :)
@k1tten (2321)
Probably because people don't want to show a weakness. They see their feelings as a weakness and they think people would take advantage of them for that.
yup i agree. people hide their feelings for them to show that they are strong outside but in reality they are weak.
I believe the reason people hide their feelings is because they are afraid. The emotion of fear itself takes over the body even though happiness is a stronger emotion. Fear of being rejected, neglected, or abandoned.
@James72 (26829)
They definitely do! It may be a defense mechanism; opening themselves up too much possibly leaves them open to hurt or ridicule or even worse..... indifference. I do not know many people who freely and openly communicate their feelings. I guess this is why Psychologists and Psychiatrists are in business! The unbiased nature of a professional puts people at ease and they are able to open up more without fear of being judged by those that know them maybe?
People just don't like verbalizing how they feel. Sometimes, I know I feel like it's better to just keep things to myself instead of telling them what's on my mind because sometimes those things can really open up a huge can of worms so to speak and just make the situation a lot worse than it should have been.
@FrancyDafne (2048)
I think that it isn't possible to find two identical persons, everybody is different from the other, and so everyone can respond to this question in a different way. I'm a very shy person and I always tend to hide my feelings. I'm a very individualist person and I usually think that no one cares about my problems, my thoughts, my feelings, my sentiments.... but if I notice that somebody could have an interest in a particular feeling I'm experiencing I open myself without problem, I like communicating and there are no problem to lay myself bare.
@Abbyey (760)
For me, i'm a girl, when i was young i used to always keep my feelings to myself. I'm talking about feelings of admiration towards someone... i guess we girls (or most girls) cant really reveal how they feel towards a guy no matter how close they are to them because they fear that after they have revealed how they feel... He might start to set a space between them... or he might not feel comfortable knowing about it... When i grew up, admiring a guy's qualities is a sign of maturity in one point. When i sense that i admire him... i just tell him straight but more of a COMPLIMENT... so that after i told him... he will just be HAPPY & thankful that i see him as ADMIRABLE... :P thanks
@j12345 (163)
• New Zealand
I think its because ... feelings and emotions are seen as a weakness... its like giving someone amunition to attack you .... it makes you vulnerable .... everyone has emotional weakness's that can hurt us ... if anyone knew they could destroy you ... thats probably why we only express freely with people we trust.
@jean_rose (416)
I guess, this a case of self preservation. Something about vulnerability. We sometimes equate showing emotions as a sign of weakness. And we think that if we open up our hearts wider by showing where it hurts, we are more susceptible to pain.