I just found out we may be able to get government help remodeling!!

@kbkbooks (7030)
Have you ever done this? Apparently here in Quebec we can get government grants for badly needed house repairs, such as roof, outside doors, windows, and insulation, also for porches and outdoor steps. Has anyone ever used this process? I think we would be eligible. What can you tell me about it?
That is really good news. There is no such program here. Try to distribute the grant as much as you can, so that you can repair not only a few things, but many of them.
@kbkbooks (7030)
Before they give you the money, they determine exactly what repairs need to be done and how much it will cost. That is how they determine the amount of grant you get.
I actually qualified years ago because my house, although technically on the outskirts of the "downtown" area and far from anything but other houses, was considered part of the "downtown" area locally. The help I got was wonderful!!!!! The contractors are usually very good and know their stuff. We got a free furnace, insulation and winterization based on the fact that our house was in the right area (zip code wise) and our income was low enough. I say go for it unless you hear horrible things about the local program itself!
@kbkbooks (7030)
Are you in Quebec? Wow, that's awesome.
we have the same thing available in ontario but it is relegated to heritage homes, those 50 years and older, there is a community effort to save the older homes and destroying them is frowned upon
@kbkbooks (7030)
I don't think for this program the houses have to be that old. The house next door to us used the program last year and I don't think theirs was as old as ours. My mother in laws house was the same age as ours and recently had to be demolished, shortly after she moved to a home. I don't want that to be happening to our home.
@cassidy22 (2975)
That sounds fabulous. I don't think we have programs like that in the US. I'm not sure though, But if you own a home, you can often get a home equity loan to help pay for things like that.
@kbkbooks (7030)
We have tried an equity loan. We have lots of equity. The problem is we have almost every other kind of debt bigtime so our debt ratio makes it too high to get a loan. :(
@jewel76 (2305)
Wow i had no idea we could do this here! It's a good thing to know! Hopefully, you'll be eligible, let us know and good luck!
@kbkbooks (7030)
My girlfriend says it's not neccessary but I think it must be we can't do it until we catch up our property tax. Will let you know, jewel.