What is the most important thing that we need to teach children?

children - children with parents
Brisbane, Australia
What is the most important thing according to you, we need to teach children?
Hands down, we need to teach our children respect. Too many children now a days are not respectful and they grow up without it, never knowing what it is, and treating people badly.
You are definitely right. Respect should be taught first and foremost. Very few children have respect in this day and age. If I would have treated people the way children do today, I would have never been able to sit down.
• Brisbane, Australia
well said both of you.
@lillake (1635)
To treat everyone and everything as they want to be treated.
• Brisbane, Australia
hmm.. Diplomatic answer!
@cowgirl2701 (2081)
To respect others, work ethics, discipline. I see so many kids today that have no respect for others. They also feel they don't have to work. My 23 year old can't believe how other people her age complain about their job that they get paid $14 an hour to start. She tells them there are worst jobs that pay less. They actually have a good job with great benefits and potential for promotions. My daughter knows this. She has worked hard for the promotions. She now makes $22 an hour.
• Brisbane, Australia
Congrats to that girl!
Teach our children to love God and to love the Bible. Respect for authority and respect for other peoples things and property.
@angel_690 (209)
This is a tough one for me because I feel there are several important things we need to teach our children , Respect for themselves and others, believe in themselves, compassion for all of gods creations, honesty, integrity, and I could go on. I guess the first would be on my list is Respect.
@stacy624 (2777)
RESPECT all the way!
Respect and discipline must be taught... no one likes disrespectful and undisciplined kids...
@lacchiga (52)
respect and how to behave ,try change their attitude against possitive things rather than negitive spects of life , experianced person is better to teach in respectd way of his life none than the (mom)
The most important thing that we need to teach the children of today is respect. With this, comes the awareness of the importance of moral values. Sad to say, I have observed that respect and values being the most important are also the things that need attention nowadays because they're gradually dissipating. I'm a teacher and I could easily differentiate the students of the past and the students of today. I hope the parents and the teachers go hand in hand in guiding the kids well so that they would turn out to be people of great character and discipline, the kind that would make the world a better place.
they need more than anything to know they are loved in these buisy days many kids have no idea just how much they mean to us!
Values, in general. And unfortunatly the media has contradicting messages. I don't want to be a tyrant, but I don't want to raise a deviant, either. So where do we draw the line, and how?