How old does your kid have to be to be able to wipe his own butt?

@KarenO52 (2951)
At what age do you stop wiping your kids butt? Someone I know mentioned that she had to go help her son wipe himself. He is 6 years old. She said that he will sit there and call for her to come in and wipe him all the time! I just think that's weird. My kids never asked for that kind of help past the age of 3.
@SageMother (2277)
I would htink you teach the wiping at the same time you teach the use of the potty. At 6 years old kids need to be taking care of that on their won. That is more than just weird. It sounds like there are some family dynamics thta need to be changed. That isn't normal.
@KarenO52 (2951)
I'm glad you agree, I was starting to think maybe I was a mean mom.
I'd be a little concerned this boy might grow up to be wimpy and picked on when in school. Being spoiled now could seriously hinder him later.
@samrat16 (2442)
Yes after an age of 5 I suppose kids should be asked to take bath on themself and make them stand on their feet for fulfilling their daily requirements.
@KarenO52 (2951)
I've always believed that parents should do their best to make their kids self sufficient so that they can cope in this world. It can be very tough out there, and you're doing them no favors by doing everything for them.
@kurtbiewald (2628)
yeah I think around 3 or so younger than that, I think just run some water and dunk em in
@KarenO52 (2951)
That sounds about right.
Yes, 3 is about the age where the child should be able to clean himself, unless there are physical disabilities. I had just turned three when I started 'wiping' myself. My mom said I knew how to do it earlier, but I liked making her do it. I've apologized often for me being such a mess.
@KarenO52 (2951)
My kids were about three when they learned how to bathe themselves, brush their teeth, and so on. I made sure they knew how to do it right first, and then left them on their own. Once in a while I would check up on them to see if they were doing it properly, and they were.
Thanks for the best response. I know if I have a child, they will pay me back for being such a mess. : )
My niece was 7 before she wiped her but on her own. I asked who wiped her butt when she was in school and her mother said she waits until she gets home to go potty. My kids would call out to me and I would tell them to do it themselves. They were afraid to get their fingers dirty. I told them that there was plenty of soap and water. That was the end of that.
You are not along. My daughter is almost eight, yes 8 and still sometimes begs for one of us to wipe her buttocks. My son at 4 is much more independent, but also will request the dirty little favor at times. Of course when they are at school they have no choice but to do it themselves. They know how to push your buttons if you let.
@Woodpigeon (3710)
I am sure my kids never asked past the age of three, either! My oldest was much more proficient at it though, I'm afraid. My younger is quite happy to do it, but he doesn't do a very good job. I suspect it has a lot to do with the actual shape of his butt. It's harder to get at!
@twoey68 (13651)
I'd say 3 is around the right age depending on the kid. I'd say when they can do it without making a mess on them selves or the toilet would be a good indicator. LIVE IN PEACE