Do you think about where your money goes?

@lillake (1634)
A lot of people only care about how much money they are spending, about how much they can save, and about what they are buying. But do you ever think about where your money is going? Would you support slave labor? But if you buy something made by slave workers you are using your moey to support slave labor. Would you support child abuse? Pollution? Animal cruelty? The list goes on. The fact is money talks, and how you choose to spend your money says alot about what you are willing to support in order to save a few cents. Think about what statement you are making when you shop. Giving the companies your money tells them that you do not care what they do or how they treat their workers, or worse that you support it. If they know that making something cheaper will get more of your money they will do so, at the expense of others. http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/ http://www.getethical.com
@astromama (1226)
I think about this a lot, actually. I try to buy local whenever possible. Our co-op here in town has little notes by their local products that tell you how many miles the product travelled to the store. Like 'local honey, 15 miles', or 'handmade goat's milk soap, 60 miles'. I support organic farms, free range farms, and most everything else we buy used just to cut down on our consumerism in general. We could always do better, though.. I just try to avoid Wal-Marts and huge evil chains like that. Although I do use Wal-Mart's recycling center!
@eden32 (3976)
It's difficult to keep track of which companies are socially & morally responsible. Add to that trying to score which are the issues I care *most* about when faced with a lesser of two evils scenerio, it's nearly impossible. I find that I can circumvent all of my concerns by 1. not buying unless I absolutely need to buy it and 2. buying used.
@lillake (1634)
Which is a great way to save money itself. Instead of buying something just because you can afford it, not buying thigs that you don't really need or looking for used items saves.
If I know the item is coming from some place/people that is wrong (like sweat shops etc) I won't buy the product. I don't care if it is cheaper. I would rather spend more and know that a child isn't being paid pennies for making it. I don't knowingly buy products that have undergone animal testing. I also don't do fur. I try to be careful with my money in general... I have to try to save because we are low income but I don't want to support unethical businesses. Thanks for bringing this to people's attention.