Needlepoint Pillow

I want to create a pillow with a pattern I recently finished. It is absolutely beautiful, it is the Dimensions pattern #1289 called "Butterfly Afternoons." I then go to Micheals to buy some fabric for the back of the pillow. Since I wanted a country appeal to the pillow, I went for a slate blue for the back. However, I don't know how to measure the right amount of material for the back of the pillow, and neither do I know the best method of stitching the borders of it together. I take one look at the material, and I get overhwelmed, because I want it to be perfect. Any ideas? I want this pillow to have a country appeal. It's going to be a decorative pillow (hopefully). Any fellow craftees ever made a pillow before?
@nelltx (277)
You want to cut the fabric about a 1/4 inch larger than the pillow all the way around. The easiest way to do this is to lay the fabric out & then place your needle point on top of it, then with a pencil, mark a 1/4 inch seam all the way around. Cut the fabric, then with the front of the fabric facing the front of the needle point & pin it all the way around. Starting on one of the sides do a simple whip-stitch all the way around the pillow until you reach the side that you began on. Leave about a 3 inch hole there. Tie off your thread & then turn the pillow inside out, this should make the pillow be the way it will be when it is finished. Stuff the pillow with a poly-fil filling and then to sew the opening shut, fold the needlepoint & the fabric into the pillow and sew very small stitches to close up the hole. To make this a bit easier, after you cut your fabric, iron the 1/4 inch seam down so it won't try to creep on you while you are sewing. Hope this helps. Good luck to you!
Thank you Nelltx for your help on making pillows. I appreciate it. When the pillow is done, I shall take a picture and post it for all to see. What pillows have you made? I think I will get carried away with making pillows, like on Drew Barrymore's movie "Never Been Kissed."
Hi nelltx, just wanted to let you know that my pictures on mylot page include one of the pillow if you're interested. It is beautiful, no?
@nelltx (277)
Your pillow is really pretty, I like the butterflies. I hope that all comes out well for you. I am a crafting nut, I have made pillows, blankets, wallhangings, you name it I have either made it or attempted to. The curtains that are hanging behind me in my photo...made them! LOL. If I can ever help again, just let me know.