How often do you top to bottom clean your house or apartment?

I'm talking cleaning more thuroughly than spring cleaning. I try to do it at least twice a year. I make it coincide with my oldest child birthday and christmas so I can use the excuse of having to make room for more stuff! But I go thru the kids rooms first, clean out toys, vaccuum, dust, and rearrange furniture. Then it's the master bedroom, which is also the office/sewing room/ebay headquarters:). Then living room, dining room, and kitchen. After all that, I tackle the garage once a year usually anytime between April and July. Everything that is still usuable after this cleaning process (which usually takes a few days to a couple of weeks) I either post on freecycle, sell on ebay, or take to a consignment shop.
@SheliaLee (2738)
You sound like me. We do our big time cleaning around our kids birthdays (December and January) and that gives me the excuse to get everything ready for the Christmas holiday. I love Christmas anyway so that helps me get more in the Christmas spirit!!
@seamonkey (1982)
I'd say about once every three months I will go through everything and get rid of lots of stuff and clean the place until it is spotelss. I have to do fairly heavy cleaning every week anyhow because of kids and animals, but it'd be quartely for the mass clean. We have outbuildings as well and I do them twice a year. I think there is also a seasonal aspect, because when the weather is good, outside gets the scrutiny and heavier cleaning, and in the winter when we're indoors most of the time I am much more thorough. Inside slides a bit during the summer when we practically live in the garden.