2012 Debate-End of the World, New Life or Nothing?

I don't know if you all have heard, but some New-Age spiritualists believe that the calendar of the indigenous Maya states that the world will end sometime on or around December 21, 2012. But some researchers say the Mayan calendar never predicted the "end of the world" as such, just that the sixth long count stops and the seventh one begins with an end sometime in the 7000's. Do you all think that 2012 is something to worry about. Will we see the end of the world in a catastrophe of some kind, or will the universe and the sun align to give humans higher levels of capabilities (some New-Agers believe that human's DNA potential will increase to 50-60% level of capabilities unlike the 10% it's at now...their beliefs, not necessarily mine...about the DNA part). So, the question, will we see new life (aliens, improved human capabilities, etc) the end, or will the world just go on quietly into 2013, 2014 and beyond?
@Zalvor (728)
• Turkey
Unfortunately the world is suffering from pollution, global warming, over-population, nuclear test explosions, wars, authorities who abuse power, corruption of society, capitalism, abused religion, fascism, extinction of species which ultimately requires the ecosystem to re-balance itself. If it does not happen in 2012, some change eventually must happen. Most of the countries are so paranoid they invest a majority of their income to military and army. Science is not for the good of the society, everything is sold and people don't know whether to believe in conspiracy theories. Did you know that Nikola Tesla had a dream of free electricity for everyone? He thought it was possible. The big guys didn't want that. If you wonder who Nikola Tesla is, do a quick search on wikipedia.
Wow, you're right. There are a lot of problems. For me, I don't necessarily seeing 2012 as being "poof" the end, but the next 5-10 years may start triggering some serious mess if the world doesn't wake up.
I meant to say I don't necessarily see 2012 as the end... Sorry for the typo.