What are Medical Signs of Depression?

I have a friend that I'm really concerned about. I know there are some very basic signs of knowing someone is depressded, however I was curious about what medical people consider to me the more common signs. Just to compare them to make a judgment for myself. If they are really deep into a depression I'll definitely try and get some help for them. Any feedback will be grateful. Thanks
Depression is a complex illness that can manifest itself in very extreme ways. A person suffering will generally have a low self esteem and belief in themselves. They can be very extreme in their mood swings from not caring about anything to over compensating and being the life and soul. If this person is suffering depression you will have seen a general change in her personality. To others that do not know her she may seem to be feeling sorry for herself, withdrawing in to herself and shutting others out. She may be very tired and lethargic, possibly alternating between tearful, frustrated and angry. Although she might not even realise she is having these mood swings. Sorry I have just realised that I have been using she all the way through! I hope I have been of some help to you.
Sorry I meant to add; depression is an illness best sorted earlier rather than being left to fester. It's like a parasite, the longer it goes untreated the worse it can get as it takes hold. I am a sufferer myself and am here if you wish to IM me.
Thank you. Will do if there is anything else I need to know, thanks again.
@kurtbiewald (2628)
I'm not sure where they draw the line. For myself I would start worring after 2 days of no food or 2 days without sleep. Or if I stay on bad for a few days. Otherwise its just a blip I figure.