How do we avoid this ???

Recently I had posted a discussion about a particular topic. After a long gap I myself saw a similar discussion wherein more or lss every point related was already discussed. Now it is impossible for a person to check few thousand discussions (they are listed under different titles and categories ). Most of the time discussion search does not give you a proper result. I hate to repeat the same discussion and once Posted it can not be deleted I guess. How do I avoid this, any time saving tips please..
Get friends and turn their notifiers on then they will see your discussion and will respond as they may not have seen similar discussion by people who were not on their friends list. You problem has happened to many of us because we don't all put the same tags on our discussion and therefore will not show if you do a search.
Thanks for the info. Cheers!!