got up at 3:30 am

my daughter got up at 3:30 am this morning wide awake. i coulnd't get her back to sleep. i'm so tired. i got two hours of sleep then had to drive an hour and a half to the hospital this morning too for her doctor's appointment. it's been such a long day. have your kids ever done this and refused to go back to bed. any tips on getting them to fall back asleep.
@aprilsong (1886)
friend,u have not said how old is ur daughter,if she is under one yr old,it is not unusual,but if she is older than one yr and got up so early and can't go to sleep again.i think she must have some problems.
she is 3. i'm not sure what the problem was. she's never done this before.
@mrsturner (519)
That is so frustrating, and it always happens when there is a busy day ahead. When this happens with my son, we usually put him in bed with us and let the warmth and quiet calm him down. This doesn't always work, so whoever has the least to do the next day has to get up with him, take him downstairs and let Animal Planet lull him back to sleep.
@Connie1013 (1098)
I turn all the lights out and lay down with Teresa when she gets like that. We chat and giggle. Finally she will cuddle and go to sleep. I think she misses me at night. Good Luck if this happens again.
When one of my kids got up during the night it was always warm milk and I would lay down with them till they went back to sleep. I would think over the previous day to to check nap times in case it was a late nap or a long nap that might have thrown the sleep clock off.
she doens't nap anymore so i really don't understand what happened but i'll try the warm milk idea, thanks. however she is like me and loves to sleep alone. she hates anyone being in her bed with her. i was going to try that last night but new that wouldn't help either one of us we both can't sleep with someone else.
@sizzle3000 (3040)
I usally just brought my daughter in my room with me and told her to just lay here with me for a minute and sometimes she would fall back to sleep with me holding her. I have also had her tell me a story and that makes them tired. Good luck.