do you shut down your computers???

@edward13 (130)
one of the most useful facilities in our school are the computers...i am frequently using it especially during final semesters. there was one time that i left the computer open for only 5mins because i have to get my see my classmate on the room next to the computer lab and the president had scolded me because of doing so... what's wrong with leaving it FOR ONLY FIVE MINUTES? i even have my own computer at home and leave it open the whole day...till the next day!!! is it really necessary to shut down your computers when not in use...is it done for the maintenance or for saving electricity!!???
@roferz (46)
yes of course so my data and other hardware would be safe. but in your case, 5mins? i guess your president is just doing his job... to scold people! haha
@greengal (4286)
5 minutes is absolutely ok, more than that better to turn off the monitor atleast because that consumes the most power if I'm not wrong. I never shut down my system unless we are going out of town for several days. It's on 24/7 ;o) God knows why your school President was all so worked up!Maybe he thought it was left unused for long.
I don't usually shut down my computer if I'm not using it. I actually letting my computer on even for the whole day or more only if I know that I will be back soon to check on it. But with that case, it's your school's computer and school's electricity consumption is also the matter. Maybe, what's your president's concern was about saving the electricity comsumption. Although you're one of the students who's paying tuition fee for the use but still maybe it's one of the rules there.
most of the time my computer is ON. it has actually reached 53 days without me turning it off or a reset. but when im on travel, i have to shut it down.
I would think 5 min is alright. But if it is say... 15 min or longer, I would at least shut off the monitor. The reason for this is that the monitor is the one component of the whole computer setup that consumes the most power. In the case of your president, I guess he is just feeling too high and mighty. :P
@neenasatine (2842)
I THINK in your school's case, they just want to save electricity.. but i think there's nothing wrong for leaving it for five minutes.. i think the president just misunderstood you..