What is your favorite charity?

There are so many opportunities for us to help people less fortunate than ourselves that it can be hard to choose between them. What kinds of things do you feel passionate about? What kinds of charities do you donate to or volunteer for? I think people are basically good and caring. But I think lots of people believe that they can't do much for others because they are just one person or because they don't have much money themselves. Yet there is always something a person can do to make the world better. I'd love to see examples of what some of you do to make the world a better place.
@wolfie34 (26792)
My favourite charity is actually a local animal rescue centre which I regularly donate to, my friend volunteers there as well, I love animals and have four beautiful cats, so I always give all my old clothes, cds, dvds etc to the animal charity shops too so that they can raise some funds to help abandoned and unwanted animals.
I know some people who volunteer at animal rescue centers and some who take in animals that have been rescued to live in their homes. The centers are always existing on the fringe financially. I'm sure they value you support. Good for you! We have an organization here that has a van they take to different neighborhoods to spay and neuter cats for free or for a donation to keep down the ferrell cat population. I applaud their efforts, too.
I like to donate to all the animal needs out there. They seem to get lost in the list of needy. As far as my charitable deeds, that is not to be mentioned, as I don't want praise from people. God is the only one that should know that.
Your humility is honorable. Perhaps you could offer some charitable deeds you've seen done by others. I think it is helpful for us to know what goodness is in our world. We seem to focus so much attention on what is bad.
@simplycza (1480)
i only gave a small amount evry month to an organization wherein they managed a nursing home and doing some good things to spread God's word. It's a catholic organization and it makes me feel blessed.
Every little bit helps! Truly.
@nowment (1758)
Examples of making the world a better place, I do not think I did but those from this hospital did, I worked as volunteer for them for years to help fund raising and work the behind the scenes at the telthon. We were told my niece would not live through the night, then we were told she would be basically a vegtable but Children's Specialized Hospital didn't take that attitude when she was transferred there, instead even though it looked like she was not improving, they kept trying. She was just over a year old when the accident happened, but she didn't die, she is now in her 20's. She worked on a computer before I did, so I guess she didn't stay in a vegatative state. My world is a better place for her being in it. I attribute this to the volunteers, and staff and yes even everyone who has ever donated to Children's Miracle Network because they kept the hospital running, the hospital doesn't ask families for payment they are there only to help children. So to me everyone who ever donated even one dollar has made my world a better place, because of them my niece has been fully active and involved in my life for more than 2 decades.
You sound like the kind of person who makes the world a better place simply by being in it! The simple act of sharing your story could encourage people to do things to make the world better. So, YES you make the world a better place.
@nowment (1758)
Children's Miracle Network and specifically Children's Specialized Hospital of Westfield/Mountainside NJ Children's MIracle Network was started by the Osmonds, and predominately Marie Osmond. Unlike most other charities and telethons 100 percent of the money raised goes to the children. While there are many diseases that need cures, unfortunately we can not always prevent these ailments nor can we do anything to completely stop accidents from happening. A child's medical needs are not the same as an adults, for this reason it is important to have these children's hospitals. In order to ensure that one hundred percent of the money raised stays with the children the first few years the Osmond foundation paid for the costs and expenses of the telethon. Now Disney sponsers them. The nice thing is that the money raised in a specific area stays in that area so that if you donate in Florida you know exactly which hospital is going to benefit. if you raise money in NJ same thing, it is also an international telethon and other countries have become involved.