Do you eat more since quiting smoking?

I quit smoking about 3 months ago, but now I give in to my cravings for other foods. Is this supposed to be normal when a person quits smoking? For example, yesterday I lost my mind with some chocolate cookies. I resembled the cookie monster for a moment. The good thing is that the sugar high enabled me to stay on mylot for a few extra hours! lol I think it is my system trying to "get right" again after all those years of nicotine. Has anyone also experienced a surge in their appetite? What do you do to deal with it? Help!
I have recentely quit smoking and my god I am eating for a whole family I tell you! I get cravings for sugary foods too. I found in the last two weeks I have eaten chocolate every single day! Hun when you find a solution can you please let me know too? Maybe you should try a spray that decreases your appetite! I tried it and it wasnt that great, but it might work for you!
Thanks for your advice, fatteh_kateh. I like your avatar! My only solution is to drink a lot of water to feel fuller, and to take life one day at a time.
@1grnthmb (2063)
I have never smoked so I do not have any personal experience with this but I have had friens who have gone through it. Nicotine can act as an appitite depressent as well as speeding up the matabolizim (excuse my spelling). So when you stop smoking you become hungry and yet your body slows down so you do not need as much food. It is a catch 22. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. My friends said gum was the biggest aid. It keeps the jaws busy so you do not thing of food as much.
@gabs8513 (48816)
Apparently when you stop smoking your Taste for Food comes back and you are suppose to taste it more. People say that they eat more when they stop and also put the weight on When I go for it again I will make sure that I will have plenty of Fruit in lol as I am worried about putting the weight on Well done for stopping and do not worry it is normal for you to eat more
Hey, now I have an excuse to eat more! lol Thank you for your advice, gabs8513. Have a good day.
@seamonkey (1982)
I think it is almost ineveitable to have to readjust your 'intake meter' after you quit smoking. I figured out part of my habit was that intake of breath and found something that was the same sensation. The closest duplicate I found was a coffee stirrer. It was one of those plastic double barrel jobbies with tiny holes. You have to really suck to get air through them because the holes are so small, but the sensation is the same as smoking a cig.
I never thought of it that way, seamonkey. Those coffee stirrers are quite small, but I can see how suffocating yourself with a coffee stirrer would be the same as smoking a cigerrate via the lack of oxygen. Good comparison.
@LittleMel (14060)
I heard that's what happens to smokers who become non smokers. My husband is worried that he would gain weight if he doesn't smoke, then winter comes and all the snow digging and plowing plus other routines he has to do distract him for that worry :):) now is spring he is ready for his outdoor activity ! He still smokes actually, but like a pack a week compares to a pack a day before.
Thank you LittleMel for your words. I used to smoke nasty Newports, but I am turned off by all the chemicals I know about and don't know about that use to fill my lungs with garbage. If your husband is down to one pack a week, I bet he can quit easier now than before, because I was down to the same amount of cigerattes a week myself. It's almost not smoking, but not quite. lol If not for myown health, then I quit smoking as a promise to my son.