How do you help someone face their health issues before its too late?

@juls2me2 (2151)
When someone is denial about their health, even when you have test results and doctors telling them all about it and what to do to improve their health, how do you get through to them? Is there a way to make them face they're close to death, if they don't change what they do? Tell me how...I'm up for any suggestions. Health issues from heart problems, diabtetes, alcoholism, liver problems, etc. What does it take to get through to them?
maybe some examples of people who made it through and who did nor would help
@juls2me2 (2151)
That's a great suggestion. Thanks
@mcrowl (1050)
• New Zealand
This person sounds as though they're falling apart already - if they've got all these sorts of issues! Or are they just examples? Either way, I think it's part of human nature to keep on doing what we've always done. Making a radical lifestyle change is never easy. A woman at my work has just had her second cancer operation, gave up smoking a few days before (!) and then started smoking again a few days after the op. It takes a lot of willpower to change, and some people don't have it. I know how difficult it is to keep up any sort of exercise regime, for example, because for the most part I don't appear to be unhealthy (the exercise is necessary for a cholesterol issue), and I know how hard it is to overcome longstanding addictions to things even if they're going to affect your health. Apparently the statistics for people with heart problems show that some 70% or more start off with good intentions after they're diagnosed with heart problems yet are back to their old lifestyle within months - even if they've been hospitalised or had surgery for a heart attack. We're not good at change!
I don't know what to tell you. My high school friends mother had cancer. this girl was like my sister. My mother was friends with her mother. All the time everyone told her to go back for kimo etc. She was still in denial. All down to her dieing days. When it hit her to get some treatment it was to late. The family said she cried like crazy till her last breath. I thought this was horrible for her to bare. We can't know how to get them to listen. After all it is not our lives. My only thought is to stick by the person's side. I know it is hard to do. I also think it depends on what they are dieing from. You know some things sre harder to cope with then others. Like HIV/AIDS