Do you ever worry when you eat out?

@arkaf61 (10891)
Hubby's uncle worked in restaurants many years ago.He has the most incredible stories about that time on his life and some are not only incredible, they are actually scary. Maybe that's why he rarely eats in restaurants. I know that nowadays the standards are different and there are inspections and ratings - like here in mylot :) = but after hearing his stories there is always a period of time where I'm not too keen on going to a restaurant. But then I forget all about it and I"m ready for some restaurant visiting:) DO you ever worry when you eat at a restaurant? Do you get concerned about cleanliness, the food itself, the things we don't see?
@cutepenguin (6458)
I worry about it sometimes - I used to work in a kitchen, and it was mostly okay and clean, but I had a friend who worked at a popular chain restaurant, and some of the stories she told about things that happened when they were super busy were kind of gross. I avoid restaurants on nights when they are going to be really busy.
@arkaf61 (10891)
That's a good plan. It is true that when things are busy it might be worse.
i never eat at any restaurant i'd worked in. one of the places was crawling with cockroaches the health inspector somehow never saw. but yea,i worry.
@arkaf61 (10891)
Yes, I hear there is quite a lot of that going on. As a rule people don't usually think about those things but we really should be more aware.
they've since redone that restaurant-but they'd have been better off knocking it down.
@bear_cute (124)
Hi friend,actually I never eat at a restaurant only once time I eat at western food with my friend.that first time I eat at there while my friend spend me.I don't know what I want to eat until my friend make order for me.off course I must get concerned about cleanliness.its very important each food court even restaurant or stall.all must carry the cleanliness.
@arkaf61 (10891)
Cleanliness and fresh food. It's quite important and the worse part is that although I'm sure the majority are following most of the rules it's the minority that don't that worry me sometimes :)
@gabs8513 (48805)
Yes I do as there might be standards and rating it does not mean that they are kept to We do not know what is going on in the Kitchen and what they do while we are not watching. So yes I do sometimes get worried.
@arkaf61 (10891)
Exactly my point gabs. And although I don't let the worry take over my life, and I still eat out every once in a while, it's still something that I consider before deciding where to go. P.S. Like your new avatar:)
eating out to restaurants or fastfoods is really not healthy . . . for any reasons like its not properly cleaned or the food ingredients may have lots of fats or cholesterol or might be meat from other insects. many to worry but still we love to eat out though in the family only occasional for us . . . hygiene is the very first concern !
@arkaf61 (10891)
No, it's not healthy ... but every once ia a while, it feels good.. i just try not to think about the "what ifs" when I do LOL
@yanjiaren (9050)
I am fussy when eating out and to be honest..My hubby now after having a crappy soup the other day we went out he looked at me and told me that nothing beats the soupls I make for him..I told him..look i love cooking for you so better to eat in and we can go out and have a cake and drink instead..it is for the outing we go out..unless we know the restaurant is really clean..but we never really know do we?
@arkaf61 (10891)
Yes, the truth is we often can eat much better at home.But every once in a while I like a rest from cooking- although I love to cook LOL
@SKLC_PT (1234)
I sometimes worry, there's been so many bad things reported now a days, like the taco bell restaurant with huge rats running inside amongst others. I had a friend that worked at MC Donald's, and let me say they'd let things fall on the floor, lick them.... when someone would send back food and complain to change it. Well those people don't work there anymore but I have to wonder if the new pepople do it!
@arkaf61 (10891)
I know, we hear lots of things and it is true that some people will actually do those things. Of course if we think about it much, we end up never eating out :) I try to think: trust... but yeah.. sometimes I worry
@vanities (11336)
• Davao, Philippines
well yes sometimes i do worry on such things but when i eat out i see to it that the restaurants im in for is clean..anyway as what youve said theres no gurranty on the cleanliness unless you have a relative working inside..
@arkaf61 (10891)
true, having someone we know working at a certain restaurant can help to know how things do in that particular one.
@clod0327 (817)
I never really worry every time I eat at restaurants because I know they have to maintain a certain standards so I’m always assured that they always keep their surroundings and things clean and sanitized.
@arkaf61 (10891)
Very brave of you :) Yes the standards have been raised thankfully, which for me can help a bit. But I know that even so, lots of stuff goes on inside where we can't see. That said, most places should be ok, which is reassuring.
I always Try to to go to places that I know have been recommended by others or by a newspaper survey or something. As well, I try to order items if I'm in a place that is questionable that would be hard for the restaurant to mess up such as salad or sandwiches. I used to go to university & I had a LOT of experience eating in a bad enviroment as we had a meal hall!! It was always gross there & after 4 years of learning how to eat at a meal-hall, any ol resturant doesn't freak me out at all anymore! Plus I try to take vitmains & stay healthy!
@arkaf61 (10891)
TO be honest I think anything is easy to mess up if they want LOL But yes, it helps when other people recommends a place or sticking with restaurants we already know.
@moonmagick (1458)
They just did a big local news story recently showing how many restaurants manage to get skipped over on health inspections for as long as a couple years, and how things are overlooked. I I personally used to be a cook at a local italian restaurant (chain) when I was in college. When it came inspection time, we were actually instructed, by the manager to go into the back and put new date stickers over the old ones on things in the freezer so that we wouldnt get in trouble. And I also remember the waitresses coming back and opening the delivery door that came right into the kitchen and smoking. I to this day have not set foot into that restaurant to eat. My husband has a major issue with cleanliness. If he is in doubt about a restaurant, sometimes he will drive around back and see what it looks like. I can think of a few occasions where we didnt eat someplace because the delivery area looked nasty to him, and or there were staff standing there smoking. But yeah, to answer your question, I do think about all those things you cant see. I try to push it out of my mind and just believe that there are more clean places than dirty, but sometimes thats hard to do.
@arkaf61 (10891)
Now that is the kind of thing that scared me. The quality and freshness of food is important for me, and others of course, after all who wants to eat something that is not good anymore?
I worry about the cleanliness but more and more I worry about the nutrition of the food. All the salt and how many calories there are in what I'm eating concerns me the most. I knew that it was a lot of calories but it really scares me when they come out with reports that say the actual numbers on nutritional value. Have you seen that movie, Waited. That movie was kinda gross. It showed restaurant workers putting and doing all sorts of things to the food. Of course, hollywood probably exaggerated on some things but I'm sure they hit the spot on other events that occured in the movie.
@arkaf61 (10891)
what are we really eating at a restaurant? - Cleanliness , food freshness, professional serving.. things I sometimes worry about when eating out.
Yes, Hollywood exaggerates but it usually starts with something from reality in those cases. WHen I eat out I worry mildly about nutrition. It's not something I do everyday and at home I make sure that I do my best in terms of nutrition. It worries me more what kind of food I am eating and what crawled on it before:)
@raijin (10382)
As for me, I have worked on some restaurants and food chains here in my country. And I find out that there are still those who do this 'scary' things that your uncle is pertaining to, in some cases. I never do this things, I just do my job and enjoy the very best out of it. Here in the philippines, we value food too much. The very first qualification for job aspirants to work in this business is, discipline. With that, conscience comes right along with it.
@arkaf61 (10891)
I guess the fact is that we have to trust that most people in the business will act conscientiously. Many do, quite a few don't. Those ones can spoil it for everyone else.
• Marion, Kansas
I worry more about our general food supply, for instance all of the illness from fresh produce, lately. Somehow we seem to come into contact with it more in restaurant food. Often the places we eat, you can see right into the kitchen, so that is not as scary. I worry about the things you cannot see, like possible food source exposure to pesticides. There are certain places where we eat out that my hubby is almost always sick afterwards, but I also think it is because the foods are prepared with more fat than we use at home. He loves the food, though, so we periodically go back anyway. Kind of like you and the uncle's story, after awhile it is easy to forget.
@arkaf61 (10891)
I know what you mean about the general food supply, but that can affect not only restaurants but the food we buy for home too. It is a concern for me as well. I like restaurants where I can see into the kitchen too, but there aren't many of those here. And yes if the foods are prepared differently from what w e make at home - more fat, more spices etc, they really can have an effect on us:) Have a great day:)
@Fishmomma (10991)
I'm concerned about food in restaurants and check the ratings when we are planning to eat out. Several cities in this area now have their grade posted, so you know before you walk in what to expect. I would not be surprised to see 100% of the restaurants post their grade or get shut down when nobody is willing to eat there in this area. I realize not every city will have the strict rules or demand to know the rating.
@arkaf61 (10891)
Yes, ratings will cover some very important aspects like hygiene, food preparation, quality of food. So it's a good idea. It might not cover what servers might do to your food on the way to the table but I really think that is very rare. Generally I think eating in a restaurant is safe enough, if we pay attention and are careful and polite as the other poster said.
Ever see the movie "Waiting"? hahaha, if you have, you probably already know where I am going with this... I used to serve at an establishment... I won't name names, to protect, well, the not-so-guilty. Let's just say I have seen some unsavory things. I will say this, usually, those things are very rare and only happen to people who have alienated the servers. Most of the times, even knowing what I know, I still go out to eat very regularly with my wife. We trust most servers, and we are usually very polite when dining out, so we don't worry about all of that. The restaurants we usually go to around our home area are ones that we trust and have been ones that we have frequented on many occasions. I say get to know these restaurants. There are some great ones, and as long as you are pleasent to them and nice, you don't have to worry about all that other stuff.
@arkaf61 (10891)
LOL yes I agree with you. I do trust that most of them and since we're not the kind that keep complaining about everything and create problems I don't think I have to worry much:) Like you we tend to go to restaurants that we already know and where they know us as well. Now hubby's uncle, as much as we love him, certainly is the perfect person to have some servers mad at him, so I guess his decision of not eating out might be justified hehehe
yes I worry when I go out to eat, it the place I am eating at doesn't look clean I wont stay I would rather find a different place. I have gotten food poisoning one to many times to risk it again.
@marciascott (25559)
I like eating out every once in a while we owe it to our-selves. It is good to eat out sometimes, but expensive. especially if you want to go to nice place.