what is the standard of being a good teacher in your mind? I really want to know

China
I have been a Chinese English teacher for nearly 5 years. At first I think a good teacher should be friends of my students, so I often chat with them and give whatever help to them, for example bought many books for them for free. the result is they really think me as their friend and not a teacher. what made me angry is that they even did not finish their homework. so two years later, I change my attitude and am very strict with my students.but I feel something fade , and feel upset. several days ago, one of them told me that we like your class, but we feel you are away from us.
I am a retired teacher, but I taught for almost 30 years before I retired. I disciplined my students with love which, according to my students, is what made me stand apart from so many other teachers. I had very definite standards such as getting homework, etc. finished, but my kids also knew that they could talk to me privately if there was some problem which had prevented them from finishing it. I was always available after school for extra help and a couple of the kids, who were having problems at home, could stay and do some of their homework if their parents gave them permission. I often worked with disadvantaged children and so I always made a big deal for birthdays with a cake and a present of a book. I did the same at Christmas and at Easter and Hallowe'en. In the summer, I would take some of the kids on outings to places such as African Lion Safari since I thought they might never get the chance to go there. Parents would sometimes ask me to talk with their kids about certain things and so I would also take the kids out for a fast food dinner so that we could talk (with parental permission, of course). My kids (the students) knew I loved them but they also knew that I expected them to do their very best. That is what I mean about discipline with love. I definitely had standards for them but my approach was through guidance and example rather than just being a 9 - 4 person.
I really appreciate your response.I think I can learn from your example.maybe I have not put enough love on my teaching. love for students matters.
I honestly think you are on the right track. You have tried both ways; now, you just need to combine them. The fact that you have tried tells me that you are a terrific teacher just waiting to bloom into a totally outstanding one.
I am delighted to be your friend. Thank you.
@winterose (39931)
be right in the middle, not too strict but not too easy either, let them know that they can come to you with their problems but you require that they do their school work for you are teacher first,
yes, thank you. I will try from now on. I promise to smile to every one .
@lucy67 (819)
showing love for students and being strict with them are not contradictory. love doesn't mean allowing them to go without discipline while being strict doesn't mean putting on a long face, making them feel you are away from them. anyhow it's difficult to keep the balance between the two. but i believe you can because i can see you love your job and your students.
thank you for encouragement, I will love myself just like love myself
I think a good teacher should be a combination of both. a friend at the same time disciplinarian. there must be restrictions between the two roles and to achieve it, you must balance yourself and be a good example as well
thank you for your answer.I find not so easy to achieve that, but I will try my best.
@dfinster (3538)
My sister-in-law has been a teacher in health and home economics for 22 years and is really popular. My daughter has also been very lucky to have outstanding teachers that get through to her and make school a great experience for her too. Th one thing they all have in common I think is that they genuinly care about their students. They're fair and take time to really listen to them. I think that's what really makes a great teacher in my opinion.
@ackars (1942)
He should possess the following criterias 1)Should have a reasonable knowledge 2)Should be loud enough 3)Should care for each student even if he/she is a poor student 4)Should be friendly and approachable at all times 5)Should encourage the poor students to perfprm well and give them a special attention 6)Should clear all doubts if possible from his knowledge 7)Should accept if he/she dont know about a question and should try to find out the right answer for it for the students 8)Should give small punishments only if someone is repeatedly disobeying 9)Should try keep a good touch with colleagues and student's parents if possible 10)Should help students in any other matters other than curriculum if possible