Holiday Ham

@34momma (13895)
One holiday the wife was cooking in the kitchen. Her husband came in as she was about to put the ham in the pan. She cut the ends of the ham and put it in the stove. The Husband said "honey why do you cut the ends off?" The wife replied "that's the way my mother did it." the husband thought well i want to know why you cut the end off. He told her to call her mother and find out why. The wife called the mother and said "Mom, why do you cut the ends off the ham?" The mother replied "that's the way my mother did it." So now all three really wanted to know why the ends where cut off the ham. The then called Grandma. "Hey grandma, mom, my husband and I were talking and we wanted to know why every holiday you cut the ends of the ham off." And grandma replied " Oh child that's cause my pan is to small." I thought this little story was interesting. Do you do as your parents do for no good reason, or do you start something new when you have all the facts?
@yanjiaren (9050)
I think i am an innovator lol..i kinda modify any thing and every thing that i learn from somewhere else..even frommy parents..like greek meatballs..now i am married to a Chineseman i substitute parsley for coriander..and he loves it and they turn out great lol..i am the opposite..i don't know if that is good or bad lol..
@34momma (13895)
i didn't just mean cooking i mean everything. like how they thought about money, or how they raised you. i mean everything
Sad to say, but the story about the ham is one of our family stories. My mother cooked the ham that way and so did I, until I heard the story. In many instances we tend to do many things the same way our mothers did. Subconciously, I believe there are more things passed down through genetics than we would like to admit. They reach us from both of our parents. I often look at myself in the mirror and see my mother looking back at me. Just as easily, I catch myself sometimes doing little thigns I remember my dad used to do. It's all of a part of our ancestry. Because I am a complete opposite of my mom and dad, (on the surface), I have realized through the years we learn just as much from them as we learn how to do things on our own because of them. My mom and dad were caring, loving people who lived their lives and raised us kids the best they knew how. They struggled much like we struggle and had the same fears and doubts as we do today. By doing as my parents did brings a smile to my face and sometimes, tears to my eyes because they are both gone now, but the most important things my mom taught me were, "There's nothing in this world you can't do if you want to", and "If you're going to do anything, just do it the best". So in answer to your question I have to say I do both. It just depends on whose memory is beside me when I do it, or if I feel gutsy and try something on my own.
@34momma (13895)
see now that is what i am talking about!! i know that i have alot of my parents in me. and the things i had about them in me that i didn't like when i knew better i did better. i changed. i choose to know all the facts before i choose to do the same ol thang just because.
It's what I call becoming an adult, growing up and finding your own.
@34momma (13895)
true, but still remembering to be a child. because children don't live their lives in fear like adults do. so when ever i get the chance or just feel like it, i like to skip. so I skip. sounds silly but it works