What do you do with your old things? Garage sale?

@senses (840)
SOme old things are thrown away but there are those that are still good and can be used again. Do you hold a garage sale in disposing your old things? It's really an extra income!
It's too hard for me to throw old things that still work. What I do is give it to friends or neighbors who still see the need for them. I feel better that way. It is also a wise idea to hold a garage sale. My niece will hold an "ukay-ukay" (sort of garage sale) each time she wants to clear her stuff so she could buy new ones with the proceeds. She might have been inspired by my sister-in-law who converts her trash to cash by doing garage sales.
@senses (840)
Great for you! "Ukay-ukay" is indeed common to our country!
Every year I find time to sort my things, those I used and others which was just lying there untouched. I don't have time for a garage sale. All the things that I don't uses anymore goes straight to charity. I'm fond of giving away things to them because somehow I know that on my little way, I made someone happy. =)
@senses (840)
It's a great fulfillment to see all their smiles. Be good! God bless you always!
I give all my old things to charity because I think if I will sell it then that small income will not help me as much as these things will help those people who really need it.
@senses (840)
You hve a good heart always ready to help someone. God bless you always!
@jmcafam (2891)
Once a year we hold a yard sale to get rid of some of the usable stuff. For the rest of the year I just post it on a freecycle group that others can come and get the items I no longer need. It is a great group to keep usable stuff out of the landfill.
@senses (840)
Well, very great for you and for the people whome have shared from all you had given! Keep it up!
@williamjisir (22903)
That is true indeed. We don't throw away old things but collect them and store them and sell them when there is someone who drops to get them and pays us money for the old things that can be recycled.
@naturalst (143)
i just give to my relative thing are still useful that i want to dispose of. and some i just throw away if no one wants it. i do these to free my place of clutter and have more space and to make my place more spacious and more orderly. like the refrigerator i give it away or sell it to my relatives for a very low price if i think it's too old for me. sometimes i give dining table away. i am planning too buy new dining table again but our present table is still beautiful and okay and i can't just give away things like that but i can't find a place for a new table if i buy it. so i just postpone my buying for some time untill i feel i don't want our dining table anymore.
@izathewzia (5142)
Sometimes I gave it away for those who are in need of it. But once I donated some pieces of clothings and other used things to a garage sale for fund raising purposes. The money collected from the said activity was used for our subdivision's projects. I don't normally held garage sale to dispose my old items. I usually give it to the needy.
@clod0327 (817)
I really haven’t tried doing a garage sale of some of my old stuff. Sometimes I just give it away to our neighbors. But I think, garage sale is really a good idea because instead of throwing your old stuff, you can still get extra income from it.
No because I live in an apartment but I love going to garage sales. What is one person's trash is another person's treasure.
Living in an apartment doesn't mean you can't hold a garage sale. Of course, you could as long as you have enough space where people can see your stuff.
@senses (840)
"What is one person's trash is another persons treasure,' indeed you are right!
normally i use to give all to my house-maid .
@senses (840)
great for your house-maid. and great for you, at least you have helped them in your own little ways.
@lols189 (4797)
i throw my old stuff away as i dont have time to hold a garage sale
@senses (840)
why won't give it to charity. throwing it would be a waste.
@loujac3 (1188)
I love to have garage sales. I usually do it every spring after cleaning out the clutter. I live in an apartment complex and we use to have them when we wanted. One elderly tenant who complains about anything, everything and everyone has made so that we are not allowed to but once a year as a complex. Last year there was only one weeks notice and so I was not able to get off work to join in. I ended up taking most of the items to donate but I have saved the higher priced items in hopes of selling them somehow. Thanks for this discussion! I am going to phone right now and see when they plan to have one this year.
@senses (840)
Your welcome. I hope you're call is just right that you will be able to join in the garage sale this year.
@twilight021 (2060)
I've had yard sales beofre but I have never had much luck. Same with doing flea markets. I bring my stuff there but I never seem to see as much as I want to. Instead where I have had luck is consignment stores. I bring my things there and they price them and sell them for you, and then you get a percentage. Even with the shop taking a percentage of the sale, I have made more than I have at yard sales or flea markets. I think it's because consignment stores are more like a "store" and therefore people are willing to pay a little more. It's a great way to get rid of clothes that are still in great shape. Plus while I am there I can do a little shopping of my own. What dosen't go to consignment, goes to Goodwill.
@senses (840)
that seems to be a bright idea. consignment! thanks for sharing your experience.
@SimplyMe (373)
I don't usually do garage sales--but that is always an option since our neighborhood sponsors one in the Spring. I haven't sold anything in the neighborhood sales for a couple of years. What I usually do with my old stuff is donate it to the Goodwill or Salvation Army. When we have had furniture to get rid of, we have sold it in a consignment shop that will come and pick up your stuff for about $60.00 and then sell it for you. You split the sale 50/50 with them. Once I got $1100.00 for some old furniture.
@senses (840)
1100 is agood money. You must have good furnitures!
@bam001 (941)
I donate some things, throw some things away and sell the rest on e-bay.
@biggerb (2028)
Hi! I give away my old things to my maid who also distributes things to her relatives.Things which may not be of use to her I give away for charity.Every year a group that supports a cancer foundation comes to our apartments and they collect stuff and they have a garage sale the proceeds of which go to helping the needy.I never like to keep stuff if I am not using it.You feel good when you give it away to someone who needs it.
@senses (840)
You are definitely right. It really feels so good when you have helped someone in your own little ways! Kudos to you!
@bsa861 (339)
I don't really like to sell any old garage at salvage value ! Because we get very less money and there is no point in selling them rather I would give it for free to people who are in need of it !!
@jackiew (915)
when i have thing i no longer need i just give them away-always somebody in need of something-i use to give clothes to the diabetic society but now i give them to a friend of mine or my aunt
@dpk262006 (56599)
I once read many years ago that there is no use collecting lifeless things such as postage stamps and coins etc. I try not to keep those lifeless things which will not be any use to me in future. I do not find any use of old items, which could be put to re-use in any manner. They just fill up our store rooms and shorten the available space. These things just gather dust and are dumped. We keep on piling new things and forgetting about the older ones.
• Brazil
I give my old clothes. I sell my old books on the Net, but not all them. You can sell your old things on eBay. It's a great business. I do not like to do this with my old things because I like them a lot but I cannot pack all them in my house, there is no enough space for it, so I sell them in http://www.mercadolivre.com.br (a Brazilian site as good as eBay) and earn some money. But it is hard to do, I am a person who creates relative with things... A totally material person.