Do Rich Kids Drive Better Than Poor Kids?

@kelly60 (4548)
I am so sick of the laws that require extensive and expensive driver's training before teens can get their driver's licenses these days. Those who have lots of money can get their driver's license at the age of 16. Those who cannot afford to spend hundreds of dollars for the driver's training classes that used to be offered free of charge must now wait until they are 18 before getting their driver's license. I feel that this is discrimination against those who don't have the money to buy the privilege of driving. I do not feel that my children are any worse drivers than anyone else. On the other hand, I certainly cannot afford to pay several hundred dollars each to put each of my children through drivers training so that they can get their driver's license two years earlier. Do you agree that this is discrimination? Do you have similar laws where you live? If not, how would you feel if your children could not get their license at the same age as their peers because of these laws?
I am surprised to hear that driving lessons are given free when kids turn 18. No wonder everyone seems to know how to drive there. :P In Singapore, we typically fork out thousands of dollars for driving lessons and tests. This is the same whether you are rich or poor and all kids must wait till the age of 18. That's the minimum age for a driving license here.
@kelly60 (4548)
With lessons, children can get their drivers license at the age of 16 here. The trouble is that many of the poor kids cannot afford to pay for their driving lessons so they are not able to drive until they are older. Anyone can get a drivers license at the age of 18 without a license by passing tests.
@MGjhaud (20737)
based to my experiences, roich kids drive carelessly because they thought of "i am rich so i can pay the damage" "i am rich so they'll consider my fault" "i am rich so i can buy a new one whenever i want". I mean duhh. i hate that attitude. they feel like they are superb rich.as if they're really the one's earning that money so hard to waste.
@kelly60 (4548)
Our government discriminates against those who cannot afford to pay for their driving privileges. Many new drivers who come from families with a lot of money feel that they can buy their way out of whatever trouble they get into. Often those who come from poor families will be more careful if only because it would be too expensive not too.
I agree, that is messed up how they charge so much to get a driver's license these days. I got my license when I was 16 a couple years ago and it cost my parents and I over $200. I'm sure it's probably even more costly now. Whatever happened to free driver's training? I think they started charging a fee like two years before I got my license. It is definitely discrimination and it's just not fair. In the teenage years, having a license is very important. It's a time when you can get out of your house and not have to rely on your parents to drive you places. Teens that can't get their license due to money problems tend not to have as big of a social life because their parents are busy and can't take them. It's hard to grow up when you can't even get a license at the right age.
They probably drive worse, since they are brats and couldn't care less if they crash their cars, since their parents can afford another luxury car for them in a heartbeat
@kelly60 (4548)
I wouldn't go as far as to say that they are all brats, but many of them are so spoiled by their parents that they know that they won't have to pay the fines or to replace anything they damage. I knew someone who wrecked several cars and his dad constantly bailed him out. He never learned anything about responsibility because he was constantly bailed out of any jam he ever got himself into.
@kareng (7980)
Yes, it does sound like discrimination. I also do not like the fact that they took Driver's Ed out of the classroom in high school for an elective credit. It's all about money in today's world and it just gets sadder and sadder every day. We had to pay for driver's ed here too. It wasn't fun with twins and paying twice. What really got to me was that the instructor wasn't worth a crap. They didn't really learn anything from what I gathered and failed the test when they went to get their license. We worked with them after that and it was amazing what they said the instructor didn't mention or present in class. Basically they got a book, watched a video and that was about it--other than a few hours actually driving on the road. The simulation machines were always broke...go figure. Seems like the money coming in could repair or replace a machine or two.
@kelly60 (4548)
Driver's Ed used to be offered through the schools here too, and cost nothing at the time. When they took it out of the classroom, the cost was suddenly hundreds of dollars. My daughter's birthday was within a couple of weeks of the deadline to get by without paying for the full course, but unfortunately, she has three younger brothers. One of them turned 18 and got his drivers license last year, but the other two will both be getting to the age where they should be able to take driver's education courses soon. Unfortunately, since we cannot afford to pay for them, they will probably have to wait until they turn eighteen as well. I feel bad for them, because I know that they will be as good of drivers, if not better than many of the other kids I see driving down the road now. Unfortunately, these days the government seems to concern itself more about money than it does about safety.
@sonia23 (323)
i dont drive i am learning,i dont think there r rich drivers & poor drivers,it depends on their concentration
@kelly60 (4548)
Exactly, those with money don't drive any better, so our government shouldn't make it so difficult for those who don't have the money to get their drivers license while the rich kids are getting theirs.
@CatEyes (2449)
I find the law stupid in my opinino. If they truley think that a kid will be more responsible in two years they got a nother thing comming. I tell you, a lot of my friedns growing up were able to afford to do this and get their license at 16 whereas I had to wait until I was 18. And you know what? They got into more trouble and car wrecks than anyone I knew.
@kelly60 (4548)
When I gave my son's friend a ride home one day he told me that he was glad to be getting a ride from me instead of the boys who had given him a ride home a few days earlier. From the way he described his experience with these young drivers, I was thankful to have the boys in my car too. I hope this boy will never accept a ride with them again.
• Portugal
In Portugal you can only get the drive license at 18. So we don’t have this kind of problem. And to me this is probably the best age to get the driver license. I think that sometimes even at 18 you don’t have the maturity to understand the danger that is driving a car. The problem could be easily solved in your country by only allowing 18 plus to get the drivers license. And if you think about it this happens in others areas like universities were only some can afford to pay for them.
@kelly60 (4548)
The thing is that if you are old enough to get a job, it is often difficult to get to work if you cannot drive. My son would be able to take drivers training in a couple of months, making him eligible to get his driver's license when he turns 16. With a driver's license, he would be able to drive back and forth to work instead of counting on someone else to provide transportation for him. Without a license, he will have to rely on someone else to drive him, or he will not be able to get a job at all until he turns 18. Those who have the money to pay for the classes can get their license at 16, and do not have to worry about overcoming these additional obstacles.