Should I have to pay school taxes if I do not have children attending a public..

Should I have to pay school taxes if I do not have children attending a public school? If I do not have children attending a public school or I have to pay tuition to send my children to a private school, why should I pay public school taxes?
@stateroad (731)
I would say NO you should not have to but thats my opinion. Thats just like we work and pay into MEDICARE and they are running out of money for MEDICARE. I do not understand sometimes how this World works and why we have to pay for certain things that do not even pertain to us.
Actually I am not sure how it works there but here there are two boards the public and the private, you can go into the tax office and choose which one you are going to put them on. Sad truth is regardless you have to pay them, you just might have a choice as to weather they go to public and/or private. Kids need an education, so I think it is a really good investment anyways.
This would be an improvement.
I don't have any children at all and I feel that it's a good investment to pay school taxes. I have seen what happens when schools aren't very good and children do not get their education. It can affect the entire society in many ways. Children who can't read or lack basic math knowledge have a harder time contributing to society. Also children who do not get their education are more likely to commit crime, become homeless, or be a burden to society in other ways. So, I would say it's better that everyone contributes because everyone gets the benefits.
With the way the schools are today, I have to wonder how much my tax dollars are helping and whether or not I pay school taxes, kids quit if they want to. Most of the criminals we have went to school...most likely public school.
@angelicEmu (1311)
Yes you certainly should have to! If the only people contributing to public schools were the parents of those sending them there, they wouldn't be public schools anymore would they? You've opted out of the public school system, but that doesn't make you exempt from the society which provides schooling for those who can't afford to pay for it privately too. And if you can afford private schooling for your children, you can certainly afford to pay your taxes more easily than those on low incomes, who need the public system to exist. Being part of a society and a community means that everyone is subject to the same rules and taxes. It's called social responsibility.
If I am going to pay for a child to attend school, I should be given say in how it is spent, because I am not impressed at the moment.
Unfortunately, democracy only extends to our choice in dictators, not in holding them to their promises, or having a say in what choices they make on our behalf. If you're really unhappy about your local politicians and their choices, have you thought of standing for the local elections next time around, or getting onto some board of governors for education? That's the only way you'd be guaranteed a say in how the taxes are spent. Oh the joys of "democracy"!!