My son was a BAD, BAD monkey today!

We had one of THOSE days. And of course I had to be at the doctor's and hospital when he started in! THEN the little booger decides he wants "mcdonalds and go to park" I'm like "NO WAY! Not after that!" So what does he do? SCREAMS the hospital down.... He's really lucky about the spanking law, cause this display REALLY tried my patience and it was hard not to. Wrong or not, when kids are like this, what do you do other than at least WANT to swat their butts?!?!
@Kaeli72 (1230)
Screw the laws...spank his monkey butt anyways! I would have! Since when does the government have to step in when it comes to punishments? You can't tell them, "Wait until we get home" because chances are, you've calmed down and forgotten about it. A swat on the bum is instant punishment. For me, though, my older kids are too old to be spanked, so if they are really bad in public, I make them stand against the wall, nose to it and be silent. If they test me, they get to hold out their arms. It gives the steaming parents the time they need to calm down and it makes the children look funny...plus you might get some good discussions out of it from other parents. Try it next time and see if it works.
Oh believe, me it was VERY tempting, but I'd rather keep my boy, even if he does drive me mad at times like these. You know it is bad when you hear someone say "he was like that at the doctors office too". Talk about burning ears! I understand why the government has made this law though. The way he made me feel today, I could have and would have seriously hurt him if I had been allowed to swat. As for the corner, I fear even trying that in public, cause he is only 3, and I'd have to hold him there. Someone would accuse me of criminal confinement and then there would be a NEW law banning corners... You just can't win anymore.
@emeraldisle (13158)
You're right. If you had held him in the corner that way someone would have pitched a fit. You are holding him to tight, you are confining him, etc. The dudly do-rights need to step back and let parents be parents. You should have the right to discpline your child in a way that is effective for them.
@emeraldisle (13158)
I would have given him a good swat on the butt if he was doing that. If they want to take me to court for it I'd fight them every step of the way. The government is so quick to remove the way parents can be parents but they sure don't offer any effective alternatives. The thing is if you had dragged him out of there and into the car someone probably would have screamed about that too. "Oh what will she do to him out of eyesight" type attitude. There is no winning right now for parents and I think all we can do is follow our instincts and do right by our children no matter what the government or society dictates.
As I stated above, I'm NOT losing my son over a spanking. Its not worth it. And these days if you swat, they automatically take you to jail and the kids go to a foster home, no passing GO no collecting $200! And as I said before, I also think that at that point I might have hurt him for being that way. I was angry and besides grounding him from the park and Mcdonalds was effective in the end. lol.
lol You poor thing! Luckily my daughter isn't old enough to do all that but she's getting there. She's only 10 months old and is already starting to have tantrums. Oh yay. lol
yeah. I'm actually lucky. He only just started this behavior and he is almost 4. So hopefully it will be a quick phase!