A solution to the abuse of negative ratings!

I just had an idea. I was thinking of a way to stop abuse to the system and came up with this idea.... To remove the (-) rating altogether! Then you can rate it (+) if it's worthy. Not rate it at all or use (!) and report it to mylot. That would be simple then. That could not be abused and people would not be rated negatively for no reason at all. What do you think? Could it work? Or do you see any flaws that I have not?
@misheleen73 (6037)
another place I used to post had a thumbs down system as well, but it wasn't used as a part of someone's rating. I think your arting should only be based upon how many + you receive in regards to how many responses/discussions you have. Much easier. No people giving negative marks out of spite or because you happen to have a difference of opinion. I have never bounced around so much in my life.. from a 7 to a 10 to a 9 to a 8 to a 10... I think I'm getting whiplash !!!!
LOL! I wonder if that is why I have such a bad back today! I am thinking if this discussion gets some good responses of forwarding it to mylot as a kind of petition!
I was actually reading through the new updated rules last ngiht and it says that you should rate really good ones + that have lots of relevence and contributes to the discussion in a very relevent way. Put a - if the person has basically not paid much attention and repeated what has already been said as we should read all the responses as well. And it said that there is many that you should leave unrated. It would be good if everyone took it the same way though adn ony rated + for super responses and - for rubbish ones and the majority were neutral.
And yeah, I think we should just abolish the whole negative idea and bring in a whole new system because I don't think the one we have have is very effective. I have noticed some people with a 6 and there is nothing worng with their discussions and responses and it ust may be that they don't choose to be part of a gang and just concentrate on responding.
It is sometimes very hard to find posts that you can respond to where most things haven't allready been said. If that were the case most discussions would only have three or four responses to them. Therefore not earning the poster any money!
Well thats what it states in the rules! Most people are asking for peoples perspectives and thought s on certain issues and everyone has their contribution to make. I do try my best but I know it isn't doable in ones with more than ten responses. Just reading them would take too long so I avoid them.
@samrat16 (2442)
I agree with you , I have suffered a lot due to this negative marking . Once I had a fight with three people in a single discussion . It was real bad one and when I logged in next day I found my ranking has dropped from 96/100 to 71/100 and my star rating was 7 . This all happened as I had serious fight and they all ranked me negative. I'm still suffering from the problem as it's easy to go down but hard to climb up.
Ouch! Looks like you are slowly getting there though. Always a thumbs up from me!
@Kythe42 (1412)
I think it's a good idea. I never use the negative rating. If I don't like a post or think it was unhelpful, then I just give no rating at all.
That is the same as me. A post has to be abusive for me to rate it negatively in which case it should be reported to mylot anyway!
@wildhorse (1293)
• Egypt
This may be a good idea, positive for good and ! for real abuse not for someones personal disliking of another member. But I'm not sure if mylot admin is using the negative sign to spot the spammers and pay them less? i guess some minor abuses like two words response is better rated negative than reported as abuse. Mylot admin won't want us to report every minor thing we see on the site, it will be a nightmare for them. still it's an interesting idea.
Yes. Perhaps we could have abuse and spam functions for reporting a member. Then mylot would be able to immediately spot the the difference.
@minty3 (592)
• Nigeria
I think i agree with your idea. Was a victim of negative rating recently. Besides, if anyone should be rated negatively, shere should be away of communicating it!
I am sorry to hear that. It's a shame that people abuse such ststems.