Do you give gifts because of obligation or because it makes you feel good?

I have always loved to give gifts. They usually don't cost much, I'm more about getting something that I've seen that makes me think of the person, than how much it costs or what's "in" at the moment. I never buy a gift just because it's a holiday, birthday or anniversary, so that I feel obligated, I do it because I love it and I love to see the look on people's faces. Do you give gifts because you feel obligated (as in a holiday, birthday or anniversary) or because it makes you feel good?
@mobyfriend (1019)
• Netherlands
I prefer to give spontaneous gifts but on those obligatory days like birthdays and christmas I always try to give something that the recipient really likes and that fits his or her personality.
I don't give gifts if I don't feel like giving so. THe essence of giving gifts is both to make the person happy and to make you feel good too. THese are both interrelated because once you see how happy the person upon receiving your gift, it just does feels so good at all, isn't it? :)
@jennybianca (12915)
It varies in my/ our family. With some members, such as my parents, I give gifts because I want to. I always to give gifts to my daughter. There are other members of my husbands family, that I give gifts to because I am obligated to. Even though there are always hassles.
@Willowlady (10666)
I like to give gifts to make someone else feel good. Sometimes just because I had not seem them for a while and we get together again. Not always able to gift someone and so I do what I can. I feel no obligation whatsoever. It is something that is an addition in our lives not a necessity.
I certainly do, for the special days, but sometimes I have a friend or family member that has been down in the dumps, or just needs that boost that says I love you just because you are you. Then I will give a gift, its not always bought but sometimes something I have made them, or baked-cooked. Often with my daughter in laws, its something of my own that they have admired and I know that they covet, something that when I die that would go to them anyway, I give it. It means so much more to them having given it now, then they know I truly want want them to have it. It makes all the difference in the world, and it reassures them that I love them. Even if it is a bought gift it does not have to be expensive to make some one feel better. I adore getting little gifts myself, its not only a treat but an affirmation of worthiness.
This is so SWEET of you! ;-) If there is an occasion, I will usually give gifts if budget allows. If I see something that is just so suitable for that person, I will buy it too. Of course, if my pockets happened to be deep enough. :P
@KissThis (3006)
I give large sizes gifts on birthdays and so forth. But I like to give smaller gifts year round . I will be at the store an see something I know someone will like I buy it just so that I can see the expression on their face. I think that its the little things in life that make people happy and I love to see the people in my life happy.